The X99-Gaming 5P is a really solid Intel X99 motherboard. Being part of the second wave, it has fixes for some of the issues with GIGABYTE's first generation of X99 motherboards. The optimization of feature placement, larger heat sink, and socket with extra pins all provide incentives for the purchase of the new X99-Gaming 5P over its predecessor.
Overall system and IO performance is up to par with the best performing boards. The direct routing of PCH and CPU bandwidth to the slots and ports provides great compatibility and performance. While it has a 6-phase VRM, thermal performance and overclocking is excellent. I would have liked to see some OC features like a POST code display, but OC recovery was exceptional so if it had a POST code you probably wouldn't really need it. The extra pins in the socket and revised DDR trace routing help to increase cache overclocks and decrease the required amount of system agent voltage. While the cache frequency increase might not benefit those on air or water cooling, GIGABYTE is able to guarantee certain DDR4 3333MHz kits work with only XMP enabled, such as those from Corsair.
There are of course some places for improvement, right now the price of the X99-Gaming 5P is a bit on the high-side. The $309.99 price tag reflects the recency of the motherboard's release as well as the hardware required for the extra pins in the socket. I also wish the board came with a 4x M.2 slot, but that isn't a big issue since performance is still very good and the PCI-E lanes saved go towards connectivity and the PCI-E slots.
Overall I was impressed with the feeling of maturity the X99-Gaming 5P provided over its predecessor and other X99 motherboards I have tested. GIGABYTE does provide some premium gaming features, specifically in the audio section. The X99-Gaming 5P has GIGABYTE's top of the line onboard audio, and the replaceable amplifier with gain switch makes it one of the most versatile audio solutions for a motherboard.
Product Summary Breakdown
|Performance (including Overclocking)||93%|
|Quality including Design and Build||96%|
|Bundle and Packaging||94%|
|Value for Money||90%|
|Overall TweakTown Rating||93%|
The Bottom Line: If you want a dependable Intel X99 motherboard with the latest gaming technologies coupled with solid overclocking performance and the feeling of platform maturity, look no further than the X99-Gaming 5P.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging and the X99-Gaming 5P]
- Page 3 [X99-Gaming 5P Circuit Analysis]
- Page 4 [X99-Gaming 5P Circuit Analysis Continued]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Software]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup]
- Page 7 [Overclocking]
- Page 8 [CPU, Memory, and System Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [System IO Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Temperature and Power Consumption]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Resident Evil 7 isn't coming to Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is bigger than Skyrim
- 'Rogue One' captures plans for $1B worldwide box office
- Huawei P10: Curved display and front fingerprint sensor?
- For Honor PC requirements revealed
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni