Introduction and Packaging
The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF Server is a real powerhouse, thanks to support for four AMD Opteron 6000 Series processors and 32 slots for RAM.
The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF server is ideal for database, application, enterprise server, SQL server, HPC, and VM workloads. Designed around the AMD Opteron 6338P and 6370P processors, Supermicro's server is able to achieve optimized performance and deliver better performance per watt, dollar for dollar.
High-density servers are nothing new in enterprise server racks, and Supermicro excels in designing products to fit in the area. The AS-2042G-6RF server essentially takes several servers and condenses them down to one 2U box, reducing power use while giving the server the maximum amount of processing power in one box.
The case used in this server is the SuperChassis 828TQ+-R1400LPB. Cooling is an issue with systems like this. To handle this heat load, six powerful fans move massive amounts of air to keep everything nice and cool.
The centerpiece of this server is the Supermicro H8QG6-F motherboard.
This large motherboard handles all four CPUs and all 32 sticks of RAM. In order to handle a motherboard of this size, Supermicro moved the power supplies to the front of the case, which also makes it easier to replace each PSU if the need should arise.
You also have the ability to run one CPU and then add others as you need, giving this system great ability to grow as one's needs grow.
The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF server comes in a large box weighing in at 71.1 pounds. The packing method is typical for Supermicro products. It comes padded with foam inserts to protect the server inside.
You can see the accessory box and the two rails used for installing the server into a rack. The rail kit is about the best we have used. It simply snaps into place in the rack with no fuss.
Here we have removed the accessory box, rails, and the top foam insert. The box that shipped to us also had four heat sinks, which you can see here.
There is not a lot in the accessory box, but it has everything you will need to get the server installed and running.
PRICING: You can find the Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF barebones kit (no CPUs) for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Supermicro AS-2042G-6RF barebones kit (no CPUs) retails for $2,140.33 at Amazon.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Windows 95 has been installed onto an Apple Watch... because why not
- Battlefield 5: Eastern Front rumors are reportedly fake
- Samsung 'Bedtime VR Stories' is a truly new way of telling stories
- First Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer now live
- Without the reconstruction tech, Quantum Break looks incredible at 4K
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- WD 1TB Black drive memory dump while Win 7 installed.
- Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched