Inside the 1U12LW-C2750 Server
The heart of the system is a Mini-ITX motherboard that ASRock sells as a stand-alone component if you don't need the full server kit.
Two 2.5-inch HDD bays on the right of the server can hold hard drives, but it becomes a tight fit if you install a PCIe card.
Here we have a half-height, half-depth PCIe card installed in the server.
We didn't find a lot wrong with the server, but there were a few issues that popped up. We see the first here. The sharp pins sticking out of the PCIe adapter can rub against the cables.
Most users will never need to swap out the motherboard in their server, but since we wanted to test both the 8-core Avoton and the 4-core, we needed to pull the motherboard to do so. The SATA cables are very tight and fragile. We ended up damaging two ports on two cables. We went out of pocket to replace them even though the special reverses (SFF-8087 to SATA reverse) are difficult to find.
Fan replacement is quick and easy with ASRock's simple mounting components. The barebones server even ships with a spare in the package.
The system isn't as loud as you might expect, but it's far from quiet. This isn't a system you would use in your theater room or a regular computer room.
Three rows of four drives gives this server unmatched capacity in a 1U form factor.
The drives mount to metal cages, and then the cages slide into the server. 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch form factor drives are supported.
The drives then slide into place, and the cage locks in place with a single thumb screw.
The backplane uses an SFF-8087 connector, so you get full speed without funneling the data through an expander.
Each backplane has two power connectors to split the power.
The 250-watt power supply is rated 80 Plus Bronze.
Here we see the system fully loaded with twelve drives installed in the bays. With 4 TB drives, you can get 48TB in a 1U space. New 6TB drives increase the density to a massive 72TB! We used Seagate 4TB NAS drives for our final test even though you see Western Digital Reds in this image.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Cassini's final year of its epic voyage to Saturn
- Nintendo won't reveal full Switch specs until 2017
- Nintendo Switch may have extra power while docked
- Mass Effect: Andromeda has 1080p enhancements on PS4 Pro
- Build your own code-free apps with this 6-course bundle
- Patriot Memory LX 200GB microSD Memory Card Review
- ASRock problem SB fan1
- GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 - F20b BIOS BUG?
- Unable To Update AMD GPU Driver
- EVGA DG-87 Full-Tower Gaming Chassis Review
- ENERMAX releases Steelwing aluminum case
- ENERMAX Platimax D.F. PSU is available now
- ENERMAX launches Revolution Duo power supply with DUOFlowTM design for active ventilation
- Razer unveils new Razer Blade Pro gaming notebook
- Nintendo Switch world premiere demonstrates new entertainment experiences from a home gaming system