With HGST's entry into the NAS market, end users now have more options than ever when building a storage appliance. While the HGST may be another NAS focused drive, it does offer a tremendous amount of performance over competing solutions, due to its higher spindle speed and large cache.
One tradeoff of the HGST NAS is the much higher power consumption, and while it does not quite consume as much as the WD Black, it does consume almost 2 watts more than the WD Red and Seagate NAS, making a traditional four-bay appliance consume nearly 10 watts more.
On the plus side, the HGST NAS offers an across-the-board performance improvement with the most important being response times. As we saw in the charts on the previous pages, the HGST NAS is actually quicker than the WD Black in response and random workloads, and is not too far off in sequential read and write, as well.
Compared to the competing WD Red and Seagate NAS, the HGST carries quite a marketable performance increase but, as stated, uses on average 2 watts more. Reliability of the HGST NAS is yet to be determined, but as these units start to enter the market, we should see reports from end users as to how these drives fare. One thing we know for sure is HGST has set this drive up for success with a 1 million hour MTBF and a non-recoverable bit error rate of 10^14.
MSRP of the HGST Deskstar NAS in the 4TB capacity is set at $229.99 with a three-year warranty. Current market pricing can be found below.
PRICING: You can find the HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB HDD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The HGST Deskstar NAS 4TB HDD retails for $233.99 at Amazon.3
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Transition between zones 'is seamless' in The Division
- NVIDIA rumored to use GDDR5X on next-gen Pascal-based GPUs
- Halo 5 requires 60GB of HDD space on Xbox One
- Allison Road abandons Kickstarter, as it has found itself a publisher
- Check out this awesome 'Back to the Future' vinyl box set
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS