Specifications, Pricing and Availability
Samsung offers the 840 EVO in five capacity sizes, all with the same tri-core MEX controller and TLC NAND flash. The 500GB model has 512MB of DRAM, just like the 250GB drive we've already reviewed. EVO rests just beneath the 840 Pro in both price and performance, but the performance is very close between these two drives thanks to advanced technology like TurboWrite.
Rapid Mode, previously exclusive to the 840 EVO, eventually migrated to the 840 Pro. Rapid Mode uses your systems RAM to turn random data into sequential data when written to the solid state drive. This gives your system a nice performance boost, and increases the drive's endurance.
The 500GB EVO that we're looking at today has claimed performance of 540 MB/s sequential read, 520 MB/s sequential write speeds, and up to 98,000 4K read IOPS with 90,000 4K write IOPS. Samsung lists a metric we don't see very often from other manufacturers, and that's queue depth 1 performance. This is an important metric since many of the reads and writes we ask of the drive are at low queue depths.
The MSRP for the 500GB EVO was $369 in drive only form. At the time of writing several e-tailers show the drive at just $309. At that price, the EVO 500GB is one of the lowest priced 512GB class SSDs on the market. Today we're also looking at the bare drive version, so don't expect too many bells and whistles. Samsung does include data migration software, Magician drive management software, and a three-year warranty.
You can read our editorial on Magician 4.2 at this link.
PRICING: You can find the Samsung 840 EVO SSD for sale below. The prices listed are valid at the time of writing, but can change at any time. Click the link to see the very latest pricing for the best deal.
United States: The Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD retails for $89.99 at Amazon, the Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD retails for $154.99 at Amazon, the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD retails for $309.00 at Amazon, the Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD retails for $419.99 at Amazon, and the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD retails for $529.99 at Amazon.
Canada: The Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD retails for $111.80 at Amazon Canada, theSamsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD retails for $188.88 at Amazon Canada, the Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD retails for $349.99 at Amazon Canada, the Samsung 840 EVO 750GB SSD retails for $549.99 at Amazon Canada, and the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD retails for $663.99 at Amazon Canada.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Packaging and Accessories]
- Page 4 [Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - CrystalDiskMark]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage - Drives with Data Testing]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - PCMark 8 Hard Disk Tests]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - DiskBench]
- Page 14 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Huawei unveils Honor Band A2 priced at $29
- The Note8 to have a fingerprint sensor under the display
- OnePlus teases the OnePlus 5 color options
- ISS crew on an urgent spacewalk after equipment failure
- Far Cry 5 may have exclusive content on PS4
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning