If you do happen to grab the FREE, it is well worth the time to venture over to the SteelSeries site, and start off simply charging the FREE, put it in pairing mode, and enjoy it on any Droid device. It really is that simple and with the long list of games to search for on your device, there are plenty of options to get you happily gaming with the FREE. An added bonus to this is once the FREE is paired onto the phone or tablet, you can also use the FREE to cycle pages, select apps, start them, and even exit them, on top of the gaming perspective of it. For iDevices, you will need to press and hold both the A and B buttons while the FREE is still off. This will set it up for arcade mode, and allow it to pair there; unfortunately there are no Apple products here to test the functionality on.
As for the PC setup, it is quite the process. First you set the controller to pair the device. Open up the Bluetooth window and add the device. Once that is set, go to the site and grab the SteelSeries engine 2.8 and install it. While at first this is where I was stuck, after getting another Bluetooth mSATA card, on another PC I did not run into the same driver issue that was plaguing me in the beginning. This time the software installed and once opened, there is a tab that will allow you to configure the FREE to suit your needs. This is when I went to Grid and ran quite a few laps, as well as playing many hours of various flash games over the last couple days. Even with all the haste we did run into at first, once solved, the FREE was an absolute pleasure to use and a welcomed addition. It saddens me, but we did not test on Mac because there is not one for me to test with. I can only assume that the FREE is just as enjoyable there.
I have had a lot of fun with the FREE. Even when things were not looking good for my PC testing, I was still really enjoying all of the Droid games that worked with the controller. Once I got the PC angle sorted out, I was trying to connect the FREE to every game I had. Some like Grid take very little effort, others took more finesse to make it work out, and some titles plain do not work with it, but that is okay because I enjoyed the fact of no cables like I have with my wired controllers I typically use. Taking it further, when I am at the airport, getting an oil change, or even when I'm sitting on the couch, I can slide the FREE out of my pocket and game on when things like Facebook just aren't entertaining enough.
The $43 pricing may make some think it is too small for that sort of an investment, but I'm telling you, ten minutes in your hands, and you will wonder why you liked the large controllers in the first place. The fact that it is so multi-platform capable just makes it a more obvious solution for more people than products before have ever even thought to include into one device. SteelSeries is right on the mark with the FREE, and I can't stress enough, how intuitive and fun the experience has been.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 3 [Packaging]
- Page 4 [SteelSeries FREE Mobile Wireless Controller]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Discover the 'Secret Life of Pets' in our Blu-ray promo!
- PlayStation Plus Instant Game December line-up leaked
- Star Wars creator George Lucas 'really liked' Rogue One
- Facebook debuts 'Instant Games' app worldwide
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset