The 2.5" format has grown in popularity over the last few years for both enterprise and consumer use. No longer is the format used for just notebooks and rackmount servers. The HDD companies have increased platter density increasing capacity size. And SSD manufactures have done the same. Sure, 3.5" HDDs are now up to 4TB, but six 2.5" drives in RAID 5 offer even more capacity and redundancy to keep your data safe.
Fitting several HDDs or SSDs into your computer case can be an issue, though. Most of us find a good case and use it for ages. Many of our beloved cases were made before the SSD revolution so we just have SSDs sitting at the bottom of the case with the SATA power and data connectors attached.
Luckily, companies like Thermaltake have introduced nice adapters like the MAX-1562 that allow us to retrofit our existing computers to use 2.5" drives.
Specification, Availability and Pricing
The Thermaltake MAX-1562 is currently on sale at Newegg for $72.99. Thermaltake also makes a 4 drive unit for $63.99 and it can use SATA or SAS HDDs with a z-height of 15mm, i.e. the larger enterprise drives. The MAX-1562 that we're looking at today fits six drives, up to 9.5mm high, the standard used in notebooks for the quite a while.
The specification sheet from Thermaltake states the MAX-1562 only supports up to SATA II, but in our testing, we ran the system with all six bays populated at SATA III and didn't have any issues. To be sure, we used the fastest SSD on the market today, Samsung 840 Pro in all six bays.
Two cooling fans in the MAX-1562 keep the drives cool. We often don't associate SSDs with heat, but they do generate some. Six SSDs in a small enclosure can generate more heat than a single 3.5" drive, so the MAX-1562 cooling takes care of pushing air over the drives to keep them cool.
Let's take a look at the unit and run some tests.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction & Specification, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Thermaltake MAX-1562]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- New ASUS ROG Swift rocks an insane native 240Hz with NVIDIA G-Sync
- GIGABYTE launching mechanical keyboard, gaming mouse and mousepad
- GIGABYTE GTX 1080 XTREME shows VR, overclockers some love
- Adblock won't be pre-installed on ASUS phones after all
- ASUS reveals new 34-inch curved 3440 x 1440 Designo ultrawide monitor
- Intel "Broadwell-E" Core i7-6950X 10-Core Extreme Edition CPU Review
- GA-Z170X-GAMING 5 New build option questions
- Patriot Tab 128GB Micro USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- Z170 Extreme7+ Correct USB drivers Win10 x64
- Z170 Fatal1ty Gaming K4 & 950 NVMe M.2 SSD question
- Patriot presents UHS-II capable EP PRO-II SDXC and microSDXC
- Patriot announces 2TB Ignite SSD
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the new Level 10 Advanced gaming mouse
- EVGA announces its GeForce GTX 1080 series
- Palit announces the GeForce GTX 1080 GameRock and Super JetStream