Our load tests utilize a couple of FAST ATE active load testers and a variety of other equipment such as an oscilloscope, power conditioner, temperature probe and a power consumption meter. You can read more about our standard testing approach here.
The tests performed are based around six conceivable setups that are out there and progressively load down the PSU up to the power supply's limits or 1000W, whichever comes first. Since our test equipment's limits are higher than that of the Antec HCG-750M 750W power supply, we can test it to the maximum.
The above tests represent typical loads that we have measured from various systems and are meant to give a rough idea of where your computer might fall in line with our tests. Please keep in mind that each system is different and actual loads can vary greatly even with similar hardware.
Let's start by taking a look at the voltages to see how well this unit did during testing. Starting with the 12V1 rail, we see 2% regulation from start to finish with a total drop of .14V. 12V2 faired a little better, staying within 2% regulation start to finish and showing a total voltage drop of .13V. The 5V rail managed to stay within 2% of specification with a total drop of .05V from start to finish. Moving towards the 3.3V rail, we see that regulation was within 2% of specification with a total voltage drop of .05V.
DC Output quality for the Antec HCG-750M 750W was great and well within specifications. During Test 1, we saw 10mV of noise on our scope. When we increased the loads in Test 2, the ripple climbed to 14mV at a little under half. During Test 5 under a load of 750W, the oscilloscope showed a maximum of 26mV on noise on the 12V rail.
The Antec HCG-750M 750W is rated for 80 PLUS Bronze efficiency. This means that the power supply must perform at 82%/85%/82% efficiency at 20%/50%/100% loads respectively. As you can see, the HCG-750M passed on our bench, and wasn't close to failing at any point.
Antec's HCG series has proven itself over time and multiple iterations have been introduced to bring it where it is today. The additional wattages and modular cabling were necessary introductions in order to modernize the unit and keep it competitive.
Now Antec has added an LED fan and updated the modular connectors to future proof them a little, and frankly, I'm surprised that it took them this long to do so.
The performance for the HCG holds true to what we've seen from the series in the past. Voltage regulation stayed within 2% across the board and DC output quality was very good as well. Even the efficiency was good for a Bronze rated power supply.
Unfortunately the price on the HCG-750M is out of control if you have to pay the MSRP. Even though this unit just hit the market, there are numerous rebates to incentivize buyers a bit more. Hopefully this unit will settle in fast and stay low, otherwise it may just sit on the shelves for a long time to come.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- 'Star Wars: Rebels' season 2 trailer reveals Vader, new friends & foes
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- DARPA developing vehicle disappearing technology
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by a whole year
- Samsung didn't infringe on NVIDIA patents, judge says
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent