Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB
Here we get our first look at the 6-in-1 cage. From this side it all looks pretty simple, six 2.5" drives in a single 5.25" bay. Although difficult to see here, each drive bay had a light system that shows when a drive is present, is active or with the absence of light you know a drive isn't installed into the bay.
Standard 5.25" mounting points are located on each side. The sticker says to only use the screws included with the kit - we'll cover that part a little further in the review.
The system isn't as plain as you once thought after seeing the back. Each bank of three drives shares a power plug. Icy Dock includes two SATA power to 4-pin Molex connectors in the package. Each HDD bay has its own SATA data connector and we found there isn't any signal interference that reduces performance in the backplane.
There is a 40mm fan right in the middle to cool your SSDs/HDDs. Everyone has the same opinion of 40mm fans, they're loud. Amazingly, that isn't the case this time.
The 40mm fan installed in the Icy Dock MB996SP-6SB isn't loud at all, even when switched into the high speed mode. The switch has three positions, High, Low and Off. I tested the system in all three modes and even with the fan on high we couldn't hear it from a couple of feet away.
The drive bays do not lock, but the latch system is very good, so if you're using the MB996SP-6SB in a LAN party system that's transported often you don't have to worry about your drives falling out.
The drive sleds are designed well. The black cap at the back of the sled gets removed when you install a drive. The five silver tabs at the front of the sled reduce vibration and ground the sled.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
- We noticed the review was posted early last week, overall is great! One thing to talk about is the issue with the screw's length. We went ahead and inquired further about this, and we have the updated revision for the case screws, which are at 2.5mm length. Any further would cause issues with the ejection mechanic. So, our new units in production have these screws, and should resolve the issue with mounting.
Latest News Posts
- Far Cry 5 co-op supports full campaign
- Far Cry 5: Everything you need to know
- EVGA teases its GTX 1080 Ti Kingpin, unveil at Computex
- SAPPHIRE announces RX 580 Nitro+ Special Edition
- Oppo R11 launch date and first images of the phone leak
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Free Paypal Money Adder Online Tool Legit 2017
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017