At $218.99 US the ASRock X79 Extreme4-M is the cheapest X79 motherboard on the market and while we do lose a little bit of overclocking headroom like we normally do when we move to a smaller board, the X79 Extreme4-M proves itself as a really capable board.
On the bundle side of things the X79 Extreme4-M comes in at a fairly standard level with not too much being seen; the features side of things are pretty strong, though, with the new XFast RAM technology along with the other XFast technology we see with ones like the XFast USB one giving us a clear boost in performance when it comes to testing.
On the overclocking side of things the X79 Extreme4-M didn't come in as strong as our larger Extreme4-M, but that doesn't come as much of a surprise as we always see mATX boards take an overclocking hit when compared to their larger ATX counterparts.
The price is probably the one piece of information that continues to stand out the most; that combined with the amount of power this board helps you achieve in a mATX case is just amazing. With one or two high end cards and a i7 3930K, you'd be able to build yourself an absolute beast of a system inside a mATX case.
Outside of the size, if you can fit a ATX sized motherboard in your case we'd recommend that you go with the X79 Extreme4 over this one. Considering it's only slightly more expensive than the X79 Extreme4-M and offers us better overclocking potential, it's the clear choice.
On the other hand, if you're dreaming about a performance system that fits in a mATX sized case, then you can't look past the X79 Extreme4-M that we have on hand today from ASRock.
Cheap isn't a word I thought I'd be sharing when it comes to the new Sandy Bridge-E platform, but at $218.99 US the ASRock X79 Extreme4-M isn't just a cheap motherboard that can give you some serious power, it's the cheapest motherboard currently being sold on Newegg at the moment for the new SB-E platform.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- We Heard You Like Discounts
- Acer's new 10-core smartphone will 'dominate' Android gaming
- The first big patch for Windows 10 is coming soon
- Rocket League patch will let you filter out PS4 users on the PC
- BBC's Grand Theft Auto TV movie 'The Gamechangers' trailer arrives
- Windows 10 Pro 64bit on GA990FXA-UD3 R5 advice for USB3 problem
- Seagate Game Drive 2TB Xbox STEA2000403 Add-on Storage Device Review
- How can you find updated drivers like people post to this site all the time?
- Are these the same?
- Really Need help with Asmedia SATA Bios/Drivers settings
- SEAGATE DELIVERS INDUSTRY'S BROADEST PORTFOLIO OF 8TB HARD DRIVES
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015