Really, when you look at the performance the HD 6990 4GB offers out of the box there's not really any reason to flick that BIOS switch over to position 1 and unleash the beast that is AUSUM mode. So you find yourself wondering, why flick the switch, throw more voltage through the card and push the clocks even further?
Well, I answer that question with another question! Why not? Sure, you probably don't find yourself overclocking for everyday use, because it's not really necessary, especially at the moment as the card eats up every game benchmark at any single screen resolution. If you're going to benchmark, though, the chances are you're going to want to overclock and if you're happy to get right into benchmarking, you can push that core to 1GHz while pushing the fan to 100%.
More often we overclock because we want to, not because we need to. If you want to make use of even more power and don't mind the extra dBs that the setup will carry, go for it, but if you buy yourself a HIS HD 6990 4GB and don't touch overclocking or the AUSUM switch and you're going to be just as happy.
The HIS HD 6990 4GB is a great card and it feels like it's been forever since we saw a dual GPU model not just from AMD, but from anyone. It's here now and while stock is a little in and out, you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a card. The biggest problem at the moment might be getting one for $699, as there seems to be a little bit of an early adopter's tax thrown on top. Still, at an extra $20 or $30 the card continues to be amazing and at $699 the extra few dollars don't seem as significant.
HIS has done a fantastic job with the package by including a load of convertors that are going to make getting the card up and running straight away with any monitor an absolute breeze.
As you would expect, the HIS HD 6990 4GB is a fast card and overall just a great card for people who demand power. Overclocking potential clearly exists, but it's fairly safe to assume a lot of people probably won't bother due to the simple fact it's not really necessary.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card & Specification]
- Page 3 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 4 [3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Street Fighter IV]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Temperature Test]
- Page 16 [Sound Test]
- Page 17 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 18 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 19 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 20 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Airbus wants to start testing flying cars this year
- Pokemon GO generated an insane $950 million in 2016
- Nintendo Switch will have 'steady pacing of content'
- Faraday Future stops factory construction to afford CES
- Switch's paid online is made to attract third-party devs
- How to get larger than 2TB HD to work on GA-P35-DS4 Rev 2.0
- G skill Trident Z 32GB ( 2 x 16GB) DDR4 3000 Cas 15
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99