Aimed at users wanting the ultimate in lightweight portability, the Arctic Sound S111 speakers from Arctic Cooling are a super-compact 2.0 speaker system.
In an effort to design products that work well together, Arctic Cooling also aims to market this system for use with their new C1 mobile solar charging solution we looked at recently.
Inside the small and well labeled box we find the two small speakers along with a product manual to aid in setup. The speakers are linked by a removable RCA style cable. On the rear of the right speaker, we find a USB cable to provide power as well as the master volume control for the system. We found setup to be hassle-free and painless.
- The System Specifications
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 25KHz
- Compact dice-shaped speakers
Although this system is USB powered and will not support connection to a regular wall socket out of the box, it is possible to use a USB wall socket adapter from an iPhone or iPod. This actually saved me some headaches because a great deal of noise was coming through my system's USB channels.
For testing, we connected the S111 to a desktop computer system as well as a high quality MP3/4 media player.
- High End
This was the strongest point of this system; the high range frequencies were well represented and clear in these speakers.
- Mid Range
This was not a particularly strong point of the S111. Due to the small size of the drivers used in the speakers, there cannot be any true evaluation of the mid range frequencies.
- Low End
Again, nothing much to mention here; low frequency extension is probably limited to around 250-300Hz and that would be quite generous.
Disregard the specs that claim 50Hz because you would have to be a canine for that to be audible. Misleading statements like this are a perfect example of why specs are a load of junk a lot of the time.
We are not pulling any punches here, nor are we singling out Arctic Sound. It's any company's job to dutifully report what its product is capable of in a fashion that gives potential buyers a reasonable idea of what the product can do. Anything else is misleading in our eyes.
Overall, this little USB system is very lightweight and attractive. In terms of construction and design, this is what we have come to expect from Arctic Cooling products.
However, performance was not fantastic. While the highs were okay, mid-range and bass in these speakers were obviously disappointing. While it doesn't make sense to expect speakers like these to produce pulse-pounding lows, the fact that they weren't there at all was a little saddening.
There's no doubt that some will be able to enjoy the music wafting out of this little system. The bass issues can even be addressed by listening to music that doesn't require much, if any bass. Overall, the S111 speakers from Arctic Cooling do what they say they will; provide ultra-portable sound in a small, sleek speaker setup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Xbox Wireless adapter lets you use Xbox One controller on Windows 10
- Facebook testing new video features
- Six new images show off Surface Pro 4 from every angle
- Save 97% On the Ultimate Data & Analytics Bundle
- Transition between zones 'is seamless' in The Division
- Star Wars Battlefront Open Beta GPU Performance Overview
- ASUS ZenBook Pro - ram
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- Tt eSPORTS unveils the NEW CRONOS AD Premium Gaming Headset
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS