Aimed at users wanting the ultimate in lightweight portability, the Arctic Sound S111 speakers from Arctic Cooling are a super-compact 2.0 speaker system.
In an effort to design products that work well together, Arctic Cooling also aims to market this system for use with their new C1 mobile solar charging solution we looked at recently.
Inside the small and well labeled box we find the two small speakers along with a product manual to aid in setup. The speakers are linked by a removable RCA style cable. On the rear of the right speaker, we find a USB cable to provide power as well as the master volume control for the system. We found setup to be hassle-free and painless.
- The System Specifications
Frequency Response: 50Hz - 25KHz
- Compact dice-shaped speakers
Although this system is USB powered and will not support connection to a regular wall socket out of the box, it is possible to use a USB wall socket adapter from an iPhone or iPod. This actually saved me some headaches because a great deal of noise was coming through my system's USB channels.
For testing, we connected the S111 to a desktop computer system as well as a high quality MP3/4 media player.
- High End
This was the strongest point of this system; the high range frequencies were well represented and clear in these speakers.
- Mid Range
This was not a particularly strong point of the S111. Due to the small size of the drivers used in the speakers, there cannot be any true evaluation of the mid range frequencies.
- Low End
Again, nothing much to mention here; low frequency extension is probably limited to around 250-300Hz and that would be quite generous.
Disregard the specs that claim 50Hz because you would have to be a canine for that to be audible. Misleading statements like this are a perfect example of why specs are a load of junk a lot of the time.
We are not pulling any punches here, nor are we singling out Arctic Sound. It's any company's job to dutifully report what its product is capable of in a fashion that gives potential buyers a reasonable idea of what the product can do. Anything else is misleading in our eyes.
Overall, this little USB system is very lightweight and attractive. In terms of construction and design, this is what we have come to expect from Arctic Cooling products.
However, performance was not fantastic. While the highs were okay, mid-range and bass in these speakers were obviously disappointing. While it doesn't make sense to expect speakers like these to produce pulse-pounding lows, the fact that they weren't there at all was a little saddening.
There's no doubt that some will be able to enjoy the music wafting out of this little system. The bass issues can even be addressed by listening to music that doesn't require much, if any bass. Overall, the S111 speakers from Arctic Cooling do what they say they will; provide ultra-portable sound in a small, sleek speaker setup.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- LG H840 spotted on GFXBench, rocks 5.3-inch QHD display, 3GB RAM
- More Xbox One exclusives are coming, says Microsoft
- MS on broken Quantum Break promises: we want to bring gamers together
- What if Microsoft uses Steam to power PC to Xbox game streaming?
- Street Fighter V now ready for pre-load on PSN and Steam in NA
- ViewSonic 27-inch 4K LED Monitor (VP2780-4K) Review
- Help choosing a motherboard
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 / CPU non-k bios support?
- ASRock Z77 Extreme4-M cannot boot
- OCZ TRION 150 480GB SATA III SSD Review
- Arctic Announces the P533 Series Gaming Headsets
- Intel to Bring the Best in Gaming to the World Stage at Intel Extreme Masters
- Western Digital Board Declares Dividend For Third Quarter Of Fiscal 2016
- AMD Increases Notebook Market Traction
- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti VR Edition Starts Selling