You're going to pay a little more for the Palit Sonic Platinum version of the GTX 460 at $245 (at the time of writing), but the performance increase justifies the cost. Normally we would see OC models offer slightly worse value than reference clocked / priced cards, but the overclock on the Sonic Platinum is just so strong that it counters the typical effect and climbs almost to the top of our TVR graph.
While the Palit GTX 460 Sonic Platinum 1GB lacks a little in the bundle department, so does just about every other video card we look at these days. For most the performance that Palit is offering us is going to be the stand out point.
While you can do overclocking yourself, Palit is offering us a massive out of the box overclock and for only slightly more money. If you can't be bothered learning or just overclocking, then it's a fantastic option. We're not talking about a company throwing the OC label on a model and having a 15MHz overclock. What makes this one stand out a bit more than the MSI and GIGABYTE GTX 460s we looked at is the fact the company has also decided to up the memory speed.
We had mentioned that the GTX 460 already looked like it was going to be a winner because of the aggressive pricing nature; we then saw MSI slap on a really nice cooler and up the clocks to a good level which really took the card to another level.
Palit have then upped those clocks even further, thrown a memory overclock into the mix and decided not to charge us through the roof for it taking it up another level again. You just have to look at our TPR graph to understand the performance of the card; you're talking about a card that performs better than a GTX 470 did when it first launched only a few months back. That's simply outstanding.
The only thing we really want to know now is if Palit can give us 800MHz off the bat, what can we achieve from the series with some extra core voltage?
If you don't mind paying a little more than the standard GTX 460 to get even more performance, the Palit is a fantastic card. As we mentioned as well, the overclock to price increase is also fantastic; our TVR graphs showed the value is only second to the cheaper 768MB version.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 21 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo expects Switch to sell 110 million units
- Bungie makes Destiny 2 official with an artwork tease
- HTC Vive partners with WB for Ready Player One
- Android co-founder teases his upcoming smartphone
- Elon Musk teases Model Y for 'S3XY' lineup
- N3150-ITX Mini-PCI Express Slot
- Intel Optane Memory: What It Is and Why It Matters
- AnyRactive GoTouch Portable Whiteboard Review
- Gigabyte Aorus z270x Gaming 9 Motherboard Bios Code: bcc0
- New Mobo and my W10 Install?
- Elgato Stream Deck brings tactile control to live content creation
- COLORFUL wins innovation award from Intel
- Composer Olivier Deriviere pioneers real-time generated interactive music for GET EVEN
- BIOSTAR launches compact high-speed storage solution with M200 M.2 SSD
- EpicGear launches MORPHA X RGB fully modular gaming mouse