G.Skill managed to be the first out of the gate with Indilinx's latest controller and it should be another success in their growing solid state line-up. The new ECO controller should allow G.Skill to manufacture the Falcon II for less and pass the cost saving on to the consumer. Already we are seeing a 30 CAD cost reduction when compared to the Falcon with 64GB of NAND Flash. When we compared the 128GB Falcon to the 128GB Falcon II we found a 50 CAD price difference, so it looks like the G.Skill was able to make significant strides on a series of drives that were already some of the lowest priced to begin with.
When it comes to performance it appears there are some tradeoffs that come with the 1819 firmware, but in the long run Windows 7 users should find TRIM more appealing than an initial performance boost that will degrade over time. TRIM will allow your Falcon II to reclaim lost performance and stay within 90% of what you observed when the drive was new.
I believe availability is still going to be an issue with the G.Skill Falcon II and even more so than the Falcon. I am basing this on the cost of the Falcon II and how many people will be willing to make the SSD plunge now that we are seeing a 50 CAD cost savings at the 128GB level. I can only hope that you will be able to purchase a G.Skill Falcon II not just next week, but a month, two months and longer from a reputable e-tailer and not just find OUT OF STOCK notices on the sellers pages.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Battlefield 5: Eastern Front rumors are reportedly fake
- Samsung 'Bedtime VR Stories' is a truly new way of telling stories
- First Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare trailer now live
- Without the reconstruction tech, Quantum Break looks incredible at 4K
- Forza Motorsport 6: Apex requires 16GB RAM for gaming at 4K 60FPS
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- WD 1TB Black drive memory dump while Win 7 installed.
- Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Creative Sound Blaster Roar Pro Bluetooth Portable Speaker Review
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched