The Nintendo DS is a gaming innovation and thus you're going to see things you don't see on other platforms. Ubisoft has taken the plunge in this aspect and released a dating simulation, something that you usually don't find in the west let alone PAL territories. To call the game a dating simulation however is a bit of a misnomer as the game really doesn't have any dates at all. Instead it's more a group of people chatting and you having to impressed them to progress further in the game.
The storyline is fairly weak. Two people; Becky and Brett are into their final week of their winter stay at a ski resort and want some last minute dates and chats with guys and ladies. The storyline revolves around these two characters that converge on each other in some areas of the game but really the story is incredibly weak, despite the fact the game is a 'choose your own adventure' style game. Ultimately Brett and Becky want each other but won't admit it so it's up to you to make them realise it.
The game is extremely repetitive in nature but it doesn't seem that way while you're playing. That could be because it's somewhat interesting and unique to challenge yourself to impress a guy or girl in a game. The game features about fifty 'episodes' to play through and each episode is set in one area of the resort. There is about ten of these overall so there is repetition in that aspect too. The game basically plays like this - Person A says something and you have to respond, and your response will determine their reaction. Some will progress further in the game while others lead to game over with the scene needing to be repeated.
As you may have figured out, 'Guess and check' is a huge part of the story. Basically you can't fail in this game. It may take you a long time to finish it but if you stick with it, you will finish the game. It's a matter of getting the combination right to impress the person. One of the most interesting things is that your first guess is usually wrong. That's because the game usually wants the complete opposite of what you would expect. For instance insulting someone is more likely to win them over then telling them they look good, figure that one out guys. The game is also mixed up with a variety of mini games such as a quick dating game and a memory game. There are two storylines to play through with Becky's featuring branches and a lot more difficulty. Guides may be needed.
The visuals of the game are impressive with a nice cartoon style being used for the title. One of the disappointing aspects is that really all the game features are portraits on backgrounds with moving mouths. No voice acting but a fairly decent soundtrack is used which suits the different levels the game is set in. You can also unlock a variety of things such as art work as well. The two screens are used well and really this is the only handheld system that could do this game but one of the more sticky points is the stylus. Sometimes the game reacts to quickly others to slowly to it.
Sprung is a game that uses some aspects of the DS well but perhaps it could have gone the extra mile and required people to blow and talk to the system; if it's there use it. It is a game probably aimed at the female market but despite its dating simulation style, offers a fairly decent adventure game and can be hard to put down.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung teases prototype 1.96-inch 4K LCD for VR HMDs
- Exploding Beats headphones aren't Apple's fault
- Samsung: Galaxy S8 is 2-for-1 in the US only right now
- NVIDIA's purported Volta-based TITAN Xv spotted
- Joss Wheddon taking over 'Justice League' directing duty
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Alien Covenant Movie Review
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning