The 'nitty gritty' and a general analysis
It seems that most of my feature articles are written about questions that are commonly asked of me, but how else would I be able to come up with interesting and wide-spread topics? Not only is this usually asked directly to me by both new and experienced members of various gaming communities, but you can often see gamers commenting on a range of Facebook groups and pages asking - "do LANs still happen?"
Most people cite the rise of the internet in speeds and download capacity as working against LAN parties, with many small friendship groups no longer seeing the need to haul their computers to their friends' basement to LAN up a whole weekend worth of Call of Duty, Worms World Party and other popular gaming titles. I sat down with a few LAN CEO's, managers and administrators from across America and Australia to talk about the LANs of this day and age, how they're affected by the internet and how the scene may have changed or progressed.
All managers discussed are involved in 200+ person LAN parties that have been running for at least 10 years now, so we're hoping these veterans of LAN will be able to provide you a little more insight into what's going on. But before we jump straight into it, there are a few questions that this article will answer - hopefully giving you an idea about what to expect.
- How has LAN culture changed over the years and how has the advancement of internet affected this culture?
- How is the attendance rate of these major events? Is there growth and what venue issues do you face with this fact?
- Will these LAN events continue to function?
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [LAN parties are still alive and kicking]
- Page 2 [The shaping of LAN culture over the years and how the internet has changed it all for good]
- Page 3 [Finding a suitable venue and issues surrounding this support]
- Page 4 [Growth in attendance and much-needed sponsorship support]
- Page 5 [Continuation of LANs well into the future]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Ben Affleck's solo Batman movie will arrive in 2018
- Battlefield 1's new update includes SLI fixes, and more
- Nintendo Switch accessories begin to get detailed
- 'Transformers 5' gets first trailer, explosions ensue
- PS4 Pro dev kit auctioned with 800GB of encrypted data
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand