A quick look at the upcoming ASUS Z97-WS workstation motherboard
A few weeks ago, we had an opportunity to attend an ASUS media event and get a sneak peek at the new ASUS lineup for the new next-generation Intel Z97 chipsets. We focused right in on the new Z97-WS workstation motherboard and here you can see a picture of the motherboard on display.
Key features are native third generation PCI Express x16 that also supports NVIDIA 4-way SLI and AMD 4-way CrossFireX.
ProCool Power Connector eliminates the hollow areas in traditional power connectors, is much stronger, and has better power efficiency. It also allows for better heat dissipation, which allows the connector to run cooler.
Q-code logger lets you log events right to a USB flash drive. The log includes all ASUS Q-Codes in a handy text file. Improved UEFI BIOS includes enhanced overclocking abilities.
There are also new SATA Express ports, M.2 Socket 3, four memory DIMM's which support 3300 MHz O.C./3200 MHz O.C./1600 MHz up to 32GB. And there is also the improved ASUS SUITE III utility which includes enhanced overclocking abilities and 5-way Optimization.
Let us look at the exclusive features of this motherboard:
- ASUS Dual Intelligent Processors 5 with 5-Way Optimization
- CPU Power with 8-phase power design & ASUS CPU power utility.
- DRAM Power with digital 2-phase DRAM power design.
- ASUS EPU, TPU
- Fan Xpert 3 featuring auto tuning and multiple thermistors.
- ASUS Graphics card tuning featuring ASUS video cards power level and fan functions.
- Network iControl featuring instant network bandwidth for top network programs in use.
- USB 3.0 Boost
- USB Charger+ featuring quick charging function for all smart devices.
- Ai Charger+, Disk Unlocker, AI Suite 3, Anti Surge and MemOK!
Here we can get a better look at the new SATA Express connector. We should start to see devices, which can use this new connection soon.
Above you can see what the retail box will look like.
Overall, the Z97-WS has an impressive feature list for a workstation motherboard using the new Z97 chipset and socket 1150. If you pair this motherboard with an Intel 4770K CPU and overclock it, you will have a very powerful workstation and your disposal which should crunch through any task you throw at it with ease.
ASUS has really upped its game when it comes to this new board design and we look forward to pushing it in the lab for a full review, which will come later - so stay tuned for that!