Like most high-end NVIDIA graphics cards these days, the front is taken up completely by a cooler that spans from one end to another. The cooler really resembles that of the 8800GTS 512MB with a few aesthetic changes.
Instead of being square at the end we see it kind of curves around the back and has an all round smoother finish. We also see the same fan design as the 8800GTS 512MB, which is also seen on the 9800 GX2.
What was kind of surprising is that if you make your way around the card you find yourself with two 6-pin PCI Express power connectors. We really thought that the card would only require a single connector but we were mistaken. The problem is that with support for three-way SLI (which means you have the ability to have three of these bad boys) a total of no less than six PCI Express power connectors are needed. Considering that most power supplies only have four at most you're probably going to run into some troubles unless you have Molex power adapters on hand.
Continuing across the top of the GTX we find two SLI connectors, which is something we haven't seen in a while with the 9600GT, 9800GX2, 8800GTS 512MB and 8800GT all only having a single SLI connector but this is not without reason.
The second SLI connector provides the ability to run three cards together if you have a supporting SLI motherboard such as NVIDIA's new NForce 790i Ultra SLI boards. If you find yourself with one of those three-way connectors in your 780i board and have been holding out for the GeForce 9 series, it might be time to pull that connector out of the box and make use of it. It is something we will investigate more later.
Finally we have the I/O side of things which unlike the GX2 doesn't hold any surprises. We've got nothing more than the standard two Dual Link DVI connectors and a single TV-Out port.
As you would expect with all new cards, GPU-Z doesn't always like to play nice. The good news is though we get some of the more important information like core, memory and shader clocks as you can see below. We removed the vendor ID information to protect whoever sent us this product which is normal for our early look articles.
The core is at a healthy 675MHz, which gives us a 1688MHz shader clock. What's nice though is the whopping 2200MHz DDR that we get on the memory clock.
As far as other spec goes on the card we have 512MB of GDDR3 memory, 256-bit memory bus and 128 Stream processors. Spec wise it's quite similar to the G92 8800GTS bar the clocks which get a bit of an increase over the standard reference clocked G92 8800GTS 512MB which had 650MHz core clock, 1625MHz shader clock and a 1940MHz DDR memory clock.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Card]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and 3DMark06]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - PT Boats: Knights of the Sea]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR)]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Enemy Territory: Quake Wars]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06 - XP]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH R10 - XP]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - World in Conflict - XP]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Unreal Tournament 3 - XP]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Half Life 2 (Episode Two HDR) - XP]
- Page 17 [Temperature and Sound Tests]
- Page 18 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 19 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Cyberpunk 2077 release date reveal won't happen in 2017
- New 'Planet of the Apes' trailer promises 'War'
- Destiny 2's 'dramatic and compelling' storyline revealed
- They did it! SpaceX launches and lands re-used rocket
- Joss Whedon's 'Batgirl' set to enter DC film universe
- No audio from monitor when using capture device
- iStorage datAshur Pro 8GB Encrypted Flash Drive Review
- GA-EP45-UD3R having wierd issues with 8 GB RAM
- ROCCAT SUORA FX Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Edition 8G Review
- CD PROJEKT summarizes its 2016 financial results
- Destiny 2 announced: blockbuster sequel to the biggest new console video game franchise launch of all time set for September 8
- MSI announces frosty limited edition Trident 3 Arctic gaming PC
- ADATA adds the i-Memory AI920 jet black flash drive
- FinalWire releases AIDA64 Extreme 5.90 benchmark software