OWC Announces New 'Prosumer' Desktop/Notebook Class Mercury Extreme Pro Solid State Drive With Up To 480GB Capacity
Four new SandForce(r) processor based SSDs for Macs and PCs offer up to 285MB/s sustained data rates, 7% over-provisioning for redundant data reliability, and lowest power use priced from $219.99
May 11, 2010, Woodstock, IL -- Other World Computing (OWC(r)) http://www.macsales.com, a leading zero emissions Mac(r) and PC technology company, announced today it has added four new 'prosumer' desktop/notebook user class Solid State Drives to its award-winning OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD(tm) line. Designed and made in the U.S. from imported parts, the new models offer the largest capacity of any current OWC SSD - up to 480GB - along with three key features not commonly found in affordable consumer class SSDs:
* Up to 285MB/s sustained data rates with no speed degradation
* 7% over-provisioning to ensure the highest level of data reliability
* Up to 1/7 less active power use for longer notebook battery runtime
The OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD is available for immediate ordering in four Macintosh(r) and PC compatible configurations that install easily in notebooks as well as in desktop/towers with an adapter:
* 60GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD $219.99
* 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD $379.99
* 240GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD $699.99
* 480GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD $1,579.99
Dramatically Decreases Boot & App Load Times
The new OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD models are an ideal way for typical Mac or PC desktop and/or notebook computer users to dramatically increase the performance of their machine. In a side-by-side comparison test (http://eshop.macsales.com/Customized_Pages/Framework.cfm?page=ssd-speed-test-feb-10.html) the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD was able to boot the OS and load six apps in just over 30 seconds while the factory standard hard drive took nearly two minutes.
Doesn't Slow Down With Use Like Ordinary SSDs
Ordinary SSDs offer fast read/write performance during first initial uses, but then experience significant write speed degradation over repeated usage. Independent simulation tests by leading Mac performance experts (http://macperformanceguide.com/SSD-RealWorld.html) confirm the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD's ultra-efficient Block Management & Wear Leveling technologies are able to eliminate virtually any reduction in data transfer speeds over heavy long term usage of the drive and without dependency on external TRIM management.
Up To 100X Greater Data Protection
Utilizing SandForce DuraClass(tm) technology, the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD is able to provide up to 100X higher data protection than provided by ordinary SSDs as well as leading enterprise class hard disk drives. By combining the highest level of Error Correction Code (ECC) and SandForce RAISE(tm) (Redundant Array of Independent Silicon Elements) technology, the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD provides RAID like data protection and reliability without loss of transfer speed due to parity.
Longer Notebook Battery Runtime
Because the OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD uses as little as 1/3 the power compared to the most power efficient 2.5" hard drives and up to 1/7 less power than other leading brand SSDs without any performance sacrifice, notebook users can now maximize their "unplugged" mobile use time while desktop/tower users can enjoy the benefits of a more energy efficient system.
"The four new OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD models give consumers the most affordable options for adding the pinnacle of internal drive performance to their Mac or PC," said Larry O'Connor, CEO, Other World Computing. "With category leading performance and technology features not found in other brands, these new models are ideal for everyday users seeking near instantaneous and reliable data access."
About Other World Computing (OWC)
Other World Computing (OWC) has been providing quality hardware products and support to the computer industry since 1988 and features one of the largest online catalogs of computer, iPod(r), iPhone(r), and iPad(tm) enhancement products through its e-commerce portal https://www.macsales.com. As a Premiere Level Apple Developer Connection member, OWC also provides extensive US based technical support for Macintosh users around the world as well as Internet access via https://www.fastermac.net and https://www.owc.net
OWC's industry awards and recognition include: Crain's Chicago Business 2009 "Fast 50" List of 50 Fastest Growing Companies in the Chicago Area; Inc. 5,000 Top 100 Computers & Electronics Companies 2007 to 2009; Reseller Ratings Elite Member 2009 & 2010; Computerworld Magazine Top Green-IT Companies for 2008; and McHenry County Economic Development Corporation 2008 Business Champion Award.
Latest News Posts
- NeoGAF goes down, owner embroiled in sexual harrassment
- ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1070 Ti teased with triple-fan cooler
- Bitcoin hits $6000, with $100 billion in value
- Galaxy S9: 6GB RAM, headphone jack is a selling point
- Mass Effect dev: EA only cares about highest returns
- ex58-UD3R rev 1.6
- RAID on a new X370 Fatal1ty Gaming X with m.2 SSDs using a PCIe card.
- LGA-775 GA-EP35-DS3P (rev 2.1), Q9550 e0 overclocking advice please?
- Will the PC-A76 accept a Tyan TYAN S7100 (S7100AG2NR) SSI EEB Mother board?
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard