BETHESDA, Md. - Jan. 31, 2019 - Roterra, the visually striking puzzle game developed by woman-owned studio DIG-IT! Games, is launching today on the App Store. Taking place on beautifully designed gravity-defying fairytale environments, Roterra invites players to guide charming characters around obstacles by rotating and sliding cubes - and even flipping the world on its head from time to time.
Roterra was selected for the 2019 MAGFest Indie Videogame Showcase (MIVS), where it received rave reviews. One attendee actually played the game for six hours straight. Some called it a cross between Monument Valley and a Rubik's Cube - and one new fan declared "I can see myself getting sucked into this!"
The developers were inspired by "Orlando Furioso" - the 16th-century epic Italian poem by Ludovico Ariosto - to create the rich storyline, colorful characters, and fairytale world behind Roterra. The constantly shifting environments also reflect the many conflicting points-of-view in the poem.
The game's female protagonist, Angelica, challenges medieval depictions of women as helpless accessories. Angelica is determined and brave - but she's also shrewd enough to know when to fight and when to run. Despite her ethereal white dress, Angelica is no damsel in distress. From the beginning of the game, you can sense her determination represented by her confident stride through forests, castles and caves alike. Angelica is a force to be reckoned with.
Once Upon a Time ...
Angelica, the rightful Queen of Roterra, has lost her kingdom to her older brother, Orlando - who has become addicted to the magical powers bestowed to those who wear the crown. She now finds herself deep in the forest, alone ... doing everything within her reach to return home! With traitorous knights hot on her heels, Angelica must face challenging puzzles and other hazards to make a safe return and reclaim her kingdom - one puzzle at a time.
How to Play Roterra
The gameplay is simple: Players are tasked with guiding Angelica through dense forests, dark caves, and giant castles by rotating and sliding cubes around the map. Quick reflexes are not quite the way to go here: Thoughtful, careful consideration is the answer - often revealing new paths and avoiding obstacles altogether. The world itself can be flipped upside down; the player may alternate between characters - including a good-natured Yellow Knight and a Wizard - to solve puzzles as a "team." If players succeed, they'll eventually learn firsthand that sometimes the journey matters far more than the destination - and that stereotypes about wizards and magical creatures are not to be trusted ...
"Angelica, our protagonist, shines a bright light on a new type of video game hero - someone whose strength comes not from overgrown muscles or guns, but from within," says Suzi Keehn, Chief Executive Officer of DIG-IT! Games. "Angelica is more than capable of looking after herself. She could 'go it alone' if needed. But our hero fully understands the enormous value of cooperation - and the transformative power of friendship. She enlists collaborators - and together, they save the kingdom of Roterra from a second-rate dictator."
- NAVIGATE a shifting world that you can spin, rotate - even flip upside down!
- SOLVE more than 80 challenging puzzles.
- BEHOLD stunning fairytale-inspired levels set in a world brimming with dense forests, dark caves, and giant castles.
- SHIFT PERSPECTIVE by switching between quirky, colorful characters.
- UNCOVER the full story as you progress through the kingdom of Roterra.
Latest News Posts
- Google's game service lets you piggyback off streamers saves
- Qualcomm working on standalone wireless VR headsets
- NVIDIA's new Jetson Nano: entry-level AI computers costs $99
- Paramount wants to see cinemas play new movies at 120FPS
- NVIDIA shows off Quake II with real-time ray tracing tech
- Halloween 4K Blu-ray Review
- GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 (VT-D Support)
- ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha (AMD X399) Motherboard Review
- m.2 shows in BIOS Windows installed but not showing in boot list
- Dirt Rally Driver HD the successful mobile game is now available in PC for free
- Super Phantom Cat, a Retro Platformer is Launching on Nintendo Switch March 21st
- Turtle Beach Unveils Its All-New Recon 70 Series Gaming Headsets
- Sacrifices, demons and emperors of Elmoraden
- Lilith Games Rebrands Rise of Civilizations to Rise of Kingdoms