Grand Theft Auto V, Overwatch and Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens were the top three best-selling games in the US for July 2016, according to the latest monthly sales report from NPD Group.
Overwatch was #1 last month but decided to play switcheroo with GTA V, but keep in mind that digital PC sales of Overwatch aren't included in these numbers. Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens used its force powers to stay in #3. NPD Group's data also has the Xbox One outselling the PS4 in the US last month, the first time that Microsoft has beat Sony in the hardware wars since October. NPD analyst Sam Naji explains: "After 33 months since the launches of the PS4 and the Xbox One, the combined cumulative hardware sales for these two consoles exceed the sales of their predecessors by 41 percent at the same point of their lifecycles".
The best-selling game system for July 2016? Nintendo's 3DS, which the Japanese giant credits the "widespread positive public reception" for Pokemon GO - yeah, where's that now, guys? As for the full list of the best-selling games in the US for July 2016:
- Grand Theft Auto V
- Overwatch (does not include digital PC sales)
- Lego Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- Monster Hunter Generations (does not include digital sales)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops III
- Minecraft (does not include digital sales)
- NBA 2K16
- Doom (does not include digital sales)
- Destiny: The Taken King
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege
- > NEXT STORY: EA compares next-gen console upgrades to Sega Mega CD
- < PREVIOUS STORY: Allison Road returns, development 'slower than before'