Technology and gaming content trusted in North America and globally since 1999
8,548 Reviews & Articles | 60,026 News Posts

Intel making another attempt at overturning antitrust fine

Intel making final attempt at reversing $1.2bn antitrust fine involving AMD

Sean Ridgeley | Jun 22, 2016 at 09:33 am CDT (0 mins, 44 secs reading time)

In 2009, Intel was penalized by the European Commission with a $1.2 billion fine for achieving an unfair market advantage against AMD when it provided rebates to manufacturers in exchange for purchasing 95 percent of chips for their computers from Intel. Additionally, the remaining 5 percent from AMD were said to have had "restrictive conditions" imposed on them by Intel.

Intel making another attempt at overturning antitrust fine | TweakTown.com

Intel appealed the ruling two years ago, which was rejected; now it's making a final attempt. Intel lawyer Daniel Beard says the Commission did not analyze "all relevant circumstances" to definitively determine whether the rebates in question did indeed shut out AMD.

Meanwhile, the Commission's lawyer Nicholas Khan maintains the position that Intel intended to "[marginalize] or even [eliminate] its only competitor."

No date for a ruling has been set.

Intel's total equity as of 2015 sits at $61.085 billion; AMD's sits at -$503 million as of 2016.

Last updated: Jun 22, 2016 at 09:58 am CDT

NEWS SOURCE:bloomberg.com
Sean Ridgeley

ABOUT THE AUTHOR - Sean Ridgeley

Sean has a background in journalism, and has been using that to write about gaming and tech since 2008 - first for Neoseeker, then Rage3D, and now, TweakTown. As News Editor, Sean's job is to supply regular stories on the latest happenings in the tech world. He also writes tweak guides to help you get the most out of your PC games and hardware.

Related Tags