I hate this driver. I really ran into so many problems with it. The first run with the HD 6970 saw some massive performance drops. Even doing a reinstall of the drivers didn't change it the first time. The second time I did the reinstall it finally worked.
Across the board the HD 6870 seemed to cop a bit of performance loss and at first I thought it was just because of something not going well in the initial setup, but I reinstalled the drivers, re downloaded the drivers and retested the card again after testing the HD 5870, and no matter what, performance was constantly down.
Outside of all that, I couldn't get into the Catalyst Control Center, as each time it said that no ATI card was present in the system. Although, if you check GPU-Z it says the 11.2s are installed, and if you actually check the performance it's pretty much spot on with both the HD 5870 and HD 6970.
I can't remember the last time I told someone not to bother with a driver release from AMD, but this is honestly one I would be avoiding. I'll still be using only up to the 11.1s in future AMD reviews, at least until the 11.3s come out.
I'm not sure if these issues are just specific to me, but to be honest, when most people have complained about driver issues, I've never seen the problem, and I test a lot of cards and a lot of drivers. This time, though, it's just no dice.
I'd probably wait for the 11.3s and stick to what you're currently using this time around.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Test System Setup and 3DMark 11]
- Page 3 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Mafia II]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Aliens vs. Predator]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sharp NES TV: a curious piece of 1980s gaming magic
- Sony's new PS4 controller for kids looks like a bad idea
- Switch sells over 2 million units in U.S. alone
- Gaming video to make $4.6 billion in 2017
- Star Wars: Battlefront II campaign will be robust
- MSI Z370 GODLIKE GAMING Motherboard Review
- GTX 1080 Ti 11GB - SLI or NOT !?
- GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS Gaming 7 Motherboard Review
- AORUS X9 (Kaby Lake) Gaming Laptop Review
- ASUS ROG Strix Vega 64 Unboxed: The First Custom RX Vega
- Introducing the CYBERPOWERPC Crystal Gaming Series Powered By CORSAIR
- COLORFUL Officially Releases iGame Z370 Vulcan X Motherboard in South Korea
- G.SKILL Releases DDR4-3800MHz 32GB (4x8GB) SO-DIMM Memory Kit for Mini-ITX Motherboards
- EK Water Blocks releases new Slim Series kits
- BIOSTAR releases new RACING Z370GT7 motherboard