The Motherboard - Layout and Impressions
Being based on ViiV technology, which is pretty much for the home theatre, its no surprise to us that the board is based on the Micro ATX format measuring just 24x24cm. While small it does pack a good punch in terms of layout and features. First off we have a look at the placement of connectors and cleanliness of the board.
ASUS has done a very clean job of the placement of what we like to call the bulky cables. First off the 24-pin ATX power cable, 4-pin Aux power cable, IDE and FDD connectors are located on the right hand side of the board all in one group. Small form factor requires good layouts as space is at a premium, keeping the bulk of the cables in one spot allows for a better air flow profile over the hotter parts of the board such as the chipsets and the CPU.
ASUS has put the DIMM sockets on the opposite side of the board for this one. We are used to seeing them between the CPU and the cables for the power, this time they are located between the I/O ports and the CPU. There are a couple yellow coloured DDR-2 sockets supporting Dual Channel memory of up to 2GB in size, more than enough for the digital media centre, but if you want to use this for gaming, Windows Vista will be hungry for memory and even 2GB might not be enough at a later date.
One thing you will note is that on the top and bottom of the board are loop hooks. These are the same hooks used to secure the Chipset heatsinks to most boards. These are what the ASUS heatsink clamp onto. Personally we would have liked to see a Socket 478 style heatsink mount, allowing you to use which ever heatsink or water cooling system that is compatible with Socket 478 mountings.
ASUS uses 3 phase voltage regulation system on the board to give a stable CPU voltage, even when overclocking. Core series CPU's, like the Pentium-M, really only need a 2 phase voltage system for optimal performance, though it's nice to see a bit more juice on tap if you need it. There are no passive heatsinks installed on the board for the power system, as they barely get warm even under the stresses of benchmarking.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 6 [Overclocking]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Test Systems and Sandra]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - PCMark]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Video Encoding]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 17 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- CliffyB: AAA games in a 'weird spot', VR in '80s' period
- GDDR6 is coming to high-end GPUs in early 2018
- Project Scorpio has 'no real technical limit on games'
- 'Avatar' 2 - 5 have new release dates, if you still care
- Take-Two kills GTA V's Red Dead Redemption mod
- Hidrate Spark 2.0 Bluetooth Smart Bottle Review
- Asus MCE remote IR codes required
- Looking for instant flash bios files for P67 Pro3 B3
- Planet Earth II 4K Blu-ray Review
- Promise Technology Apollo Cloud 2TB Review
- SAPPHIRE introduces new PULSE graphics card family
- HyperX Cloud Revolver S gaming headset now shipping
- SK Hynix introduces industry's fastest 8Gb graphics DRAM (GDDR6)
- Samsung and Amazon Video deliver next generation HDR video experience with updated open standard HDR10+
- AmpliFi HD Mesh Wi-Fi Available at Best Buy, GameStop and Sam's Club