nVidia first said that twin PCI Express x8 slots would be enough to keep the SLI dual graphics masses happy but how wrong they were. Users are starting to use higher levels of AA and AF settings and resolutions keep getting higher (even hitting the 2046 x mark now) and to keep that type of resolution and graphics quality level happy, you need some monster hardware and a powerful interface for them to communicate across - and dual PCI Express x16 is the only way it can be done if you are really serious about your gaming.
ABIT, now out of the ashes, have put together a fantastic motherboard for the first one we have seen in our labs for a long time and we have no hesitations of recommending it for those looking for something to overclock as well as a feature-rich motherboard without breaking the bank.
Overclocking features on the motherboard could be a bit more robust. We would have liked to see voltage options for the HT links as well as voltages for the North and Southbridges, which could help get a few more MHz out of a system but nevertheless, the FSB overclocking result we obtained was very impressive and represents the usual ABIT style we have been use to over the previous many years.
Overall we like the layout, performance and features of the ABIT AN8 32X and it's great to see they have managed to pull themselves out of the dark and into the overclocking light once again with a motherboard which deserves some serious consideration. Look out; ABIT is back in the game!
Above 350MHz FSB overclocking!
Firewire as standard
Additional SATA controller
Not as expensive as ASUS A8N32-SLI
Placement of the 4-pin power connector and FDD needs some work
No voltage options for HT link or North and Southbridge's
- Latest Pricing
Rating - 8.5 out of 10 and TweakTown's "MUST HAVE" Best Performance Award
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications]
- Page 3 [Package and Contents]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark05]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - 3DMark03]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - 3DMark05]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark06]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Doom 3]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Quake 4]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - F.E.A.R.]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Far Cry]
- Page 15 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Qualcomm and LG working on Snapdragon 845 for the LG G7
- Samsung's first dual camera phone leaks in a video
- Refurbished Samsung Galaxy Note7 pictured in the wild
- ASRock X299E-ITX/ac: up to 12C/24T CPU power in ITX form
- Gionee announces three new smartphones
- Lian Li PC-Q25B - distance between stand and edge of case
- LaCie Bolt3 2TB Thunderbolt 3 Review
- Asrock X99 Extreme11 reports only 48GB instead of 64 GB
- H270m Pro4 Can't boot with my SSD, stuck on splash
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017