Yet Another Power Efficient GeForce GTX 1080
The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Founders Edition did nothing but sip power, with our entire Core i7-5960X system consuming only 230W while under load. The GTX 1080 itself will use 180W, while the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G consumes up to 250W with its additional 6-pin PCIe power connector - but did we find the card using more power than the Founders Edition? We did, but not that much more.
Temperature & Noise
This is the most impressive part of the MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8G, is its thermal and acoustic performance. The GTX 1080 Founders Edition could get quite hot, but the MSI card doesn't get anywhere near as hot - and it's completely and utterly silent under the strongest of loads. Our card was pushing 66C during extensive Heaven and Metro benchmarking, while not making a sound at all. The fans were spinning, but the card wasn't running hot enough that the Torx 2.0 fans had to spin up too much. Beyond impressive, MSI.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction - The First Custom GTX 1080 We've Tested]
- Page 2 [MSI's Twin Frozr VI Cooler, Custom PCB, and RGBs]
- Page 3 [Detailed Look & Specifications]
- Page 4 [Testing Methodology & Test Setup Configuration]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Synthetic]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks @ 1080p]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks @ 1440p]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks @ 4K]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - DX12 & OC Adventures]
- Page 10 [Power, Temperature & Noise]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Switch is all about 'playing games anywhere with anyone'
- Gabe Newell holding Reddit AmA tomorrow
- Stock Nintendo Switch JoyConGrip won't recharge JoyCons
- Samsung Galaxy S8 will have a headphone jack after all?
- HTC to launch only 6-7 devices this year
- Intel 82579v - Code 10 - media disconnected
- 80mm or 92mm Fan for D8000-3
- p67a-ud3-b3 with u1d UEFI bios: pcie 4x works as 1x
- Can't Find PC-O10 Riser Kit
- Help overclocking x5460 / GA-EP43-UD3L past 3.99ghz
- BIOSTAR announces Z270 motherboard lineup
- Immersion and Nintendo enter into agreement to bring Immersion's TouchSense Technology to the Nintendo Switch System
- LucidSound invites Nintendo Switch gamers to a new standard of powered audio with the LS20 Amplified Universal Gaming Headset
- Opera Neon envisions the future of web browsers
- Nintendo Switch launches March 3 at $299.99