Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD Internals
The Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD v3 comes in the familiar 2.5" form factor. The PCB covers the bottom of the drive.
The large PCB is isolated from the case of the drive by a thin plastic covering. There is a mount point on the case that mates with the thermal pad on the controller to shed heat into the case.
A large Seagate branded controller sets near the edge of the PCB. A SMOOTH motor controller is on the bottom right, and the large Samsung 128MB multi-segmented cache chip is near the upper right. We note several power capacitors to the upper left, and accelerometers occupy opposing corners of the PCB.
The drive features a standard 6Gb/s SATA port, which helps keep cost low, and provides wide compatibility.
Idle power consumption is a pain point in the datacenter. The Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD v3 utilizes PowerChoice Technology, Seagate's proprietary implementation of the T10/T13 Approved Standard. PowerChoice provides four enhanced idle modes that place the drive into deeper quasi-sleep cycles to conserve power. The feature is enabled with a SAS Mode Page, or SATA Set Feature command in a typical implementation.
Once enabled, PowerChoice places the drive into successively deeper idle states triggered by the length of drive inactivity. There is also the option for immediate host-initiated power transitions with SAS/SATA commands, but each consecutive sleep mode requires more time for resumption. We did not test with enhanced PowerChoice states enabled.
The Enterprise Capacity 2.5 immediately displays its excellent power characteristics with a low 3.83 watts average power draw during the idle power state. It is important to note this measurement is without PowerChoice technology activated; the diminutive 2TB offering can idle as low as 1.52 watts when using PowerChoice. Even without PowerChoice, we can observe a notable difference in comparison to the larger 6TB version. The 3.5" HDD requires more power, but its larger capacity offers a similar watts-per-TB measurement.
Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD Specifications
The 12Gb/s Seagate Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD we are testing today is the 512e variant with the ST2000NX0353 part number. There are 4KN, SED, and FIPS variants available with different part numbers.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Enterprise Capacity 2.5 HDD Internals and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 4k Random Read/Write]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - 8k Random Read/Write]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - 128k Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Database/OLTP and File Server]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Email Server]
- Page 9 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Samsung's next VR headset could come with a controller
- Xiaomi to release their own processor - Pinecone
- Samsung Galaxy Tab S3 images leak ahead of launch at MWC
- Qualcomm leads 5G tech race, multi-Gbps speeds are close
- Qualcomm's new Snapdragon X20 LTE modem, up to 1.2Gbps
- How can I Speedup Outlook 2010 Performance?
- Changing Device ID
- Z170M Pro4S underperforming RAM / UEFI bug
- PC may end up in a reboot cycle from cold boot.
- Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming G1 M.2 SSD Supported?
- ASUS announces VivoMini VC66R and VC66
- BIOSTAR RACING Series motherboard lineup for AMD RYZEN announced
- Team Group officially announces the T-FORCE DARK series memory module with ASUS ROG Certified
- MSI announces Aero ITX series graphics cards
- ASUS Partners with WPGI womens Esports league