Test System Setup
To see our testing methodology, and to find out what goes into making our charts, please refer to our CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology article for that information.
Seeing how much we liked the Ouranos, we like that the Mugen Max cooler tied the Ouranos' 51.25 degree result. Although this Mugen Max is larger, and the fan is specified to be slightly better, we would have assumed this cooler to do slightly better. This is still an admirable feat nonetheless.
When we allow the overclock to deliver roughly 110W to the cooler, we see that it falls just slightly behind the Ouranos this time, as the Mugen Max provides an average of 72.08 degrees in our testing. This is where more fins in the stack wins out.
However, in the grand scale of things, considering there is only a slight difference in cost, we feel Scythe has delivered a top-tier cooler, capable of taking on a healthy overclock, and keeping things cool.
Noise Level Results
With the voltage limited, as we always do for this test, we saw only 870 RPM in AIDA64 for the fan, and recorded a 31 dB noise level at this point.
To add a bit of perspective to that, once the case is closed up and the system is running, it is hard to pick up over chassis and PSU fans.
While the sound levels do peek at 51 dB with full power to the fan, it really isn't all that bad, and more in the average range for a tower style cooler.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Scythe Mugen Max SCMGD-1000 CPU Cooler]
- Page 4 [Accessories and Documentation]
- Page 5 [Installation and Finished Product]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup, Thermal Tests, and Noise Results]
- Page 7 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Andy Rubin's Essential teases its upcoming flagship
- HTC unveils Link VR headset for the U11
- SEGA is racing to victory
- Vertu launches a $360,000 priced feature phone
- Far Cry 5's world evolves based on your decisions
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Free Paypal Money Adder Online Tool Legit 2017
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- ADATA AI910 Lightning Card Reader Plus Review
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017