If you read our SSD reviews often, you might have noticed we didn't run the battery life test today. The 840 EVO supports DEVSLP, but our Lenovo W530 doesn't. We're currently waiting for a new Lenovo T540 with DEVSLP support to arrive. When it hits the door, we plan to publish a new article with all of the new DEVSLP supporting SSDs, and their battery life performance in MobileMark 2012.5. Check back in January for the update.
I'm not surprised by the performance of the 840 EVO mSATA 1TB. After installing the 2.5" 750GB model in my daily use notebook, I continue to be impressed with the drive's responsiveness, capacity, and ability to handle my I/O heavy applications. Until now, going mSATA meant a compromise in performance due to the amount of interleaving between the flash, and the controller. The Samsung 840 EVO doesn't appear to have this issue, since the performance is very close to that of the 2.5" model.
While unleashing the new mSATA products, Samsung also enabled a handful of features for the EVO class products. TCG Opal and eDrive are now supported, features which were promised at the Samsung SSD gathering when EVO launched.
All things considered, the 840 EVO isn't just a nice addition to the mSATA class of products: It's the new flagship. The MSRP for the 1TB model might cost as much as your entry-level Ultrabook, but if you use the notebook for more than just face-twitting, then the extra capacity and performance are welcome additions, and aid in fulfilling the best all-around experience.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Nintendo shares skyrocket to 8-year high
- Alienware Aurora reach reasonable price for Memorial Day
- GTA Online earns big for Take-Two
- Red Dead Redemption 2 built from scratch for consoles
- Square Enix to embrace games as a service business model
- Gigabyte z170 UD5: Question about Voltage Spikes/Offset
- ASRock AliveXFire-esata2 compatibility with Phenom II X4 980
- m4a88td-m/usb3 & Windows 10
- OWC ThunderBay 4 Mini Thunderbolt 2 Review
- Prey benchmarked: Radeon RX 580 vs. GeForce GTX 1060
- Qualcomm fuels IoT growth by currently delivering more than 1 million chips a day into a wide range of connected applications
- Team Group announces theme for COMPUTEX 2017 showcase: go beyond the limit and reach for the top
- SAPPHIRE announces PULSE Radeon RX 560 graphics card
- ELITEGROUP computer to stand out at Computex for its smart campus deployment, robotic technology, education laptops, tablets, mini PC, and motherboards
- ADATA Shares a Symphony of Technology at Computex 2017