For those that haven't noticed, we've fallen a bit behind on covering what FSP has to offer. We recently covered the FSP Aurum Pro 1000W power supply which proved to be a good unit, but it just didn't seem to stand out in any way to make us really want it. Hot on the heels of it though is this lovely unit sitting on our test bench from the Aurum CM Gold series by FSP.
The Aurum CM Gold series is meant to retain all of the features that you would expect in a premium quality, high performance power supply. Unlike some of the other units on the market that do this, FSP has done so while trying to keep the size down without compromising anything.
They also seem to have done so while keeping the price from going through the roof. We've seen other units recently that were full of quality and small in size, but they also had quite a price premium for that. For this review, we are looking at the 650W model, the Aurum CM Gold 650M.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The FSP Aurum CM Gold 650M features four 12V rails. We don't see too many multi-rail units these days and when we do, it is usually only with dual rails. Here we have four and on a 650W unit nonetheless. That certainly makes this a rare bird.
Each rail is rated for 18A each with a combined maximum output of 50A or 600W. Both the 5V and 3.3V rails are rated for 26A each with a combined maximum output of 150W. The 5VSB rail is rated for 3.5A which is just a tad bit more than most units. Combined output for the minor rails is capped at 23.5W. Maximum combined output for the Aurum CM Gold 650M is 650W.
The Feature Summary is always the first place I go when something entails keeping quality without the price going up. There is one spot missing a green check mark on this one, and I find it not surprise that this unit is missing Over Temperature Protection. It isn't the end of the world, but OTP is almost just as important as any other protection. Protections aside, everything else looks good. All cables are fully sleeved. The natively wired cables are sleeved in nylon mesh, while the modular cables are sleeved to be flat. The Aurum CM Gold 650M is 80 PLUS Gold certified and FSP does rate it for 100% continuous output at 50C.
FSP has an MSRP of $139.99 on the Aurum CM Gold 650M. That isn't too bad but as always, a little bit of searching will yield some cheaper results. At the time of writing, Amazon comes in as the winner today listing the unit for $112.27 and free shipping. It's not the best price we've seen for a 650W power supply, but it is in the ballpark. FSP backs the Aurum CM Gold 650M with a five year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided's patch fixes some issues on PC
- No Man's Sky mod lets you travel underwater, and more
- Sony Xperia Z5, Xperia X5 amongst first for Android 7.0
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 features 10-core CPU, costs $135
- HBM3 released by 2020, offers more bandwidth, less power
- Asus Zenbook pro ux501vw touchscreen?
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 - Is Bigger Always Better?
- Are LianLi case fans any good?
- GAMDIAS Hermes RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Really hot idle temps on X99 Extreme 4/3.1
- ADATA launches the ultimate SU800SATA 6Gb/s 3D NAND SSD
- CAPE Audio shakes up the headphone industry with the release of Rebellion Headphones
- Tesoro announces ambidextrous, White Sharur SE Spectrum gaming mouse
- Eurocom launches worlds first GTX 1080 SLI VR-Ready laptop
- Thermaltake new Pacific RGB G1/4 PETG Tube 16mm OD 12mm ID 6 liquid-cooling fittings with 1 RGB LED lighting controller