If we look back over the last few years, we have seen quite a few HDD technologies emerge. From HGST, we have Helium drives on the horizon; Seagate is working very hard on SMR and WD with HAMR. Apart from those technologies, the per-platter densities of the existing HDD infrastructure have been rapidly increasing, giving us a top capacity of 4TB among today's drives.
One of the latest technologies gaining ground in the market has been the SSHD or Hybrid Drive. With hybrid drives, we typically see some sort of hot data caching algorithm coupled with NAND flash put together with a 5400RPM HDD, allowing quick access to the most frequently used files on your system.
Today, we have yet another milestone in the HDD market with the introduction of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive. The Black 2 offers on one drive what has always taken two drives or two slots in a system to accomplish. Underneath, we have a 1TB HDD with a second interconnect holding a 120GB SSD.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The WD Black 2 uses a SATA III interface packaged in the 2.5" form factor. Internal performance for the SSD is set at 350 MB/s read and 140 MB/s write. Over on the platter side, we have 600,000 Load/Unload cycles and a non-recoverable error rate of 1 in 1014. On the power front, we have read/write requirements of 1.8 watts with idle and sleep both using 0.9 watts.
Pricing of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive is set at $299.99 with a five-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Sony pulling underhanded tricks to sell $70 games
- Shadow of Mordor sequel optimized for Project Scorpio
- Nintendo Switch will have handheld-only mobile games
- Weekly hardware deals: Jet's extra $30 off GTX 1080
- Samsung introduces Gear VR with Controller
- Will the PC-Q17 ever be released in the U.S?
- Blind BIOS update both backup and main BIOS chips are empty
- Main and backup BIOS are damaged or wipped
- Halo Wars 2 Xbox One Review
- Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 5.5s rear camera is not working
- FutureMark reveals new VR and server benchmarking tools
- LG preparing VR HMD
- Dolby Laboratories and LG Electronics announce first smartphone to support Dolby Vision
- Meet the HUAWEI P10, a stunning combination of technology and art
- Samsung expands tablet portfolio with Galaxy Tab S3 and Galaxy Book, offering enhanced mobile entertainment and productivity