If we look back over the last few years, we have seen quite a few HDD technologies emerge. From HGST, we have Helium drives on the horizon; Seagate is working very hard on SMR and WD with HAMR. Apart from those technologies, the per-platter densities of the existing HDD infrastructure have been rapidly increasing, giving us a top capacity of 4TB among today's drives.
One of the latest technologies gaining ground in the market has been the SSHD or Hybrid Drive. With hybrid drives, we typically see some sort of hot data caching algorithm coupled with NAND flash put together with a 5400RPM HDD, allowing quick access to the most frequently used files on your system.
Today, we have yet another milestone in the HDD market with the introduction of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive. The Black 2 offers on one drive what has always taken two drives or two slots in a system to accomplish. Underneath, we have a 1TB HDD with a second interconnect holding a 120GB SSD.
Specifications, Pricing and Availability
The WD Black 2 uses a SATA III interface packaged in the 2.5" form factor. Internal performance for the SSD is set at 350 MB/s read and 140 MB/s write. Over on the platter side, we have 600,000 Load/Unload cycles and a non-recoverable error rate of 1 in 1014. On the power front, we have read/write requirements of 1.8 watts with idle and sleep both using 0.9 watts.
Pricing of the WD Black 2 Dual Drive is set at $299.99 with a five-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Facebook turns reactions into Halloween themed symbols
- New Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter game out now
- NASA provides further details of the ESA's lander crash
- This monster USB hub charges up to 28 devices at once
- League of Legends table top game sets the mood for fun
- CPU Cooler Testing and Methodology (October 2016)
- ASRock C2550D4I Won't boot... again
- Getting a DK-04 3D Model
- Lenovo Ideapad Y900-17ISK Gaming Notebook Review
- AMD announces Radeon Pro 400 Series graphics processors
- G.Skill announces the RIPJAWS KM570 MX mechanical keyboard
- iBuyPower announces the Slate gaming desktop
- Fujitsu and Lenovo to explore global strategic PC cooperation
- Toshiba's SAS SSDs provide secure storage for NetApp FAS and E-Series arrays for enterprise applications