HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has gained popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
Our sequential performance tests start with the drive in fresh out of box state. This allows us to work the drive down to steady state at the same rate as the other SSD's we've previously reviewed. The 439.8MB/s average sequential read speed is very good in the 480GB capacity size. Some SSD controllers respond well large volumes of flash and others not so much.
Write performance consistency is important for all SSD's at any level. Inconsistent write performance is what led to early SSD's stuttering and the problem continues today. In this review, we know more about the Seagate 600 than we did when writing the 240GB model. Seagate used two 256MB Micron DDR2 chips to hold page data. In the 240GB review we knew something wasn't quite where it should be and the relatively small DRAM is why. We've seen SSD's with up to 1GB of DRAM and we've also seen DDR3 as well. DDR3 decreases power and increases performance in most cases.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Here we see why the DRAM is so important. With only 512MB, the sequential write performance after a small amount of random writes delivers inconsistent and low write performance. The Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB also uses 256MB of DRAM to cache page table data. I would really like to see a LAMD controller with 1GB to see where the performance sits.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Seagate 600 SSD 480GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Knack 2 place further emphasis on 2 player co-op
- Rocket League gets a new map and a DLC car
- Battlefield 1 dev said shovel digging might come back
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset