HD Tune Pro
Version and / or Patch Used: 4.00
Developer Homepage: http://www.efdsoftware.com
Product Homepage: http://www.hdtune.com
HD Tune is a Hard Disk utility which has the following functions:
Benchmark: measures the performance
Info: shows detailed information
Health: checks the health status by using SMART
Error Scan: scans the surface for errors
HD Tune Pro gives us accurate read, write and access time results and for the last couple of years has gained popularity amongst reviewers. It is now considered a must have application for storage device testing.
Our sequential performance tests start with the drive in fresh out of box state. This allows us to work the drive down to steady state at the same rate as the other SSD's we've previously reviewed. The 439.8MB/s average sequential read speed is very good in the 480GB capacity size. Some SSD controllers respond well large volumes of flash and others not so much.
Write performance consistency is important for all SSD's at any level. Inconsistent write performance is what led to early SSD's stuttering and the problem continues today. In this review, we know more about the Seagate 600 than we did when writing the 240GB model. Seagate used two 256MB Micron DDR2 chips to hold page data. In the 240GB review we knew something wasn't quite where it should be and the relatively small DRAM is why. We've seen SSD's with up to 1GB of DRAM and we've also seen DDR3 as well. DDR3 decreases power and increases performance in most cases.
HD Tach - Sequential Write Performance after Random Writes
Here we see why the DRAM is so important. With only 512MB, the sequential write performance after a small amount of random writes delivers inconsistent and low write performance. The Corsair Neutron GTX 480GB also uses 256MB of DRAM to cache page table data. I would really like to see a LAMD controller with 1GB to see where the performance sits.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Specifications, Pricing and Availability]
- Page 3 [Seagate 600 SSD 480GB]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup and ATTO Baseline Performance]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Sequential Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - AIDA64 Random Access Time]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Anvil Storage Utilities]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Halo 6's 'compelling' story will focus on Master Chief
- AMD Radeon RX Vega bundled with Quake Champions
- Nintendo won't be at E3 2017
- AI to replace over 50% of ALL jobs in the next 10 years
- Acer Predator X27 gaming monitor: 4K, 144Hz, HDR, G-Sync
- Cutting LED-Strips - LED50RGB-2
- ASUS USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Wireless Adapter Review
- GIGABYTE Xtreme Gaming XTC700 CPU Cooler Review
- ASRock 990fx Extreme9 and NVMe support
- HDD to SSD
- Get ready for Intel Optane memory with ASRock 200 series motherboards!
- Acer unleashes the Predator Triton 700, a thin yet powerful gaming notebook without compromise
- Acer's new Predator monitors with quantum dot technology deliver spectacular gameplay experiences
- Acer expands its gaming notebook line with the powerful Predator Helios 300
- Western Digital ships fourth-generation Helium Hard Drive platform with Ultrastar He12 12TB advanced storage hard drives