Last month we saw the release of two new mid-range video card models from AMD and NVIDIA. Both heat up the mid $100 segment more than we've probably ever seen before. Hitting fairly firmly at the $149 mark, the HD 7790, which we've looked at from Sapphire, GIGABYTE and ASUS all did a good job of impressing us.
On the other side of the equation you've got the new GTX 650 Ti Boost from NVIDIA. Priced slightly higher, the model does offer twice as much memory with 2GB instead of 1GB, and offers slightly higher performance, as we saw in our original review of the reference card, which we looked at during the launch of the new model.
While we've managed to take a look at a few retail versions of the HD 7790, we're yet to see what's going on with retail versions of the GTX 650 Ti Boost. That's mainly due to the fact that AMD didn't offer a reference card at launch and instead relied on partners to promote the model, while NVIDIA released a reference card, and slightly after the AMD offering.
The process will as always be fairly standard with us moving from here straight into the box of the model before diving inside to find out what's going on with the bundle. Once we've done that we'll move onto the card itself before look at the specifications of this OC model. We'll quickly cover the testbed, the cards you'll see in our graphs here today before finally getting stuck into the performance side of things.
You can clearly see the model and above that you can see mention that we're dealing with an OC Edition. Across the bottom you can see it's a 2GB model and has the normal support for 3D Vision, PhysX, SLI, GPU Boost, PCIe 3.0 and a 28nm core.
The back of the box goes into a bit more detail on some of the main features like DirectX 11 and some of the main core specifications.
Inside we've got a very typical bundle with not much being seen. Starting from the left we've got a Quick Installation Guide and next to that a driver CD. Finally we finish the bundle off with a DVI to VGA connector along with a Dual-Molex to 6-pin PCIe power connector.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 3 [Benchmarks - Test System Setup]
- Page 4 [Benchmarks - 3DMark 11]
- Page 5 [Benchmarks - Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Phantasy Star Online 2]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Lost Planet 2]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - Just Cause 2]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - F1 2012]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Metro 2033]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Dirt Showdown]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Nexuiz]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Sniper Elite V2]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - Sleeping Dogs]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Hitman Absolution]
- Page 17 [Benchmarks - Tomb Raider]
- Page 18 [Benchmarks - BioShock Infinite]
- Page 19 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 20 [Temperature Test]
- Page 21 [Sound Test]
- Page 22 [Power Consumption Test]
- Page 23 [Pricing, Availability and Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- 'Terminator' to wrap with creator James Cameron's return
- PC gaming hardware market hits $30 billion
- Nintendo Switch battery life analysis
- Resident Evil 7 isn't coming to Nintendo Switch
- Zelda: Breath of the Wild's Hyrule is bigger than Skyrim
- Upgrading to Z270
- headphones not registering on ASUS k501uq
- Black screen GA Z170X ULTRA GAMING BIOS F21 I7 6400 T HELP
- hp printer technical support
- How to prevent pc from waking up from sleep when a brown out occurs?
- Transcend reveals industrial-grade SuperMLC JetFlash 740 USB flash drive for exceptional performance and endurance
- Light up your gaming with BIOSTAR B250 motherboard series
- MSI the pioneer in VR Gaming crowns winners of VR JAM
- NGE and Twitch partner to bring the Overwatch Winter Premiere Live Finals to PAX Arena at PAX South
- Bayview Labs, Seraph Group and MIT Game Lab announce 'Play Labs' VR/AR/AI Playful Tech Accelerator for MIT students and alumni