The Micron RealSSD P320h HHHL Enterprise SSD is revolutionary in many aspects, both for Micron and for the broader world of enterprise SSD storage as well. The IMFT (Intel-Micron Flash Technologies) team has recently topped 20% of the NAND market as they continue a period of fast growth. Micron has leveraged this in-house NAND and DRAM production capability to take on the 2.5" SSD form-factor enterprise and consumer market by storm. Micron has enjoyed tremendous success in both of these areas and the development of the P320h is a natural progression for Micron as they delve further into the enterprise realm.
The Micron P320h provides a whopping 50 Petabytes of write endurance from its 34nm server grade NAND on the 700GB model (up to 28TB written daily), and 25 Petabytes of endurance on the 350GB version. The high endurance SLC NAND paired with Micron DDR3 DRAM and a custom designed Micron/IDT ASIC combine to provide sustained performance that is unmatched from any single device on a PCIe slot.
The offloaded architecture provided by the custom designed Micron/IDT ASIC minimizes the intrusion upon precious host system resources, while providing unmatched performance. Many vendors in this space currently handle all flash management responsibilities on the host system, robbing applications of valuable CPU cycles and RAM capacity.
The P320h offers a blazing 785,000 IOPS of read speed, but what is truly amazing about this metric is the simple fact that is saturating the PCIe 2.0 slot with random read activity. When converted from IOPS to gigabytes per second this is 3.2GB/s, the maximum sustainable by the PCIe 2.0 interface. The maximum sequential read speed of the P230h is also 3.2GB/s.
Though designed for heavy read environments, the P320h still sports an impressive 205,000 IOPS in random write, and 1.9GB/s in sequential write performance. The disproportionate read to write speed ratio is actually well suited for typical enterprise workloads, which consist of 60- 80% read activity. Striking this balance between the read and write speeds allows the P320h to be tuned and perfectly tailored for its intended environments. PCIe SSDs excel in many types of workloads, and the P320h is designed specifically for these environments. The P320h is geared for high read workload environments that demand frequent read intensive access, such as cloud computing, high-performance computing, analytics, media streaming, web acceleration, video on demand and data warehousing.
There is also the very tantalizing possibility of utilizing the unique blend of read and write performance with third-party caching software solutions. Utilizing the massive speed and impressive endurance of the P320h as a front-end for caching of underlying DAS and SAN arrays can provide an exponential return on investment for customers by increasing the performance of existing infrastructure. Maximizing the storage potential brings the added bonus of increasing the CPU utilization, especially in virtualized environments. These exponential increases in ROI gained by removing the storage solution as the bottleneck can create a huge return on the initial capital expenditure.
The P320h features a very low overall power threshold, only consuming 25 watts. This allows the SSD to function from the power supplied via the PCIe slot without auxiliary power as demanded by some competitors. Keeping the power requirements in check results in lower costs in the long term for both power consumption and heat generation. The P320h supplies an astounding 30,000 random read IOPS per watt, a measurement that no other PCIe SSD that we have tested can match.
Finally, one of the greatest aspects of the Micron architecture is vertical integration. The NAND and DRAM are fabricated in-house and the custom ASIC is purpose built for Micron's use. This provides a steady platform that Micron controls in its entirety allowing for much more refined component integration and streamlined custom support in the event of an issue. All of these features combine to create the best-in-class price vs. performance ratio that the P320h provides to its customers. Today we will take a much deeper look at the architecture and performance of the Micron P320h.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [Product Positioning and Data Protection]
- Page 3 [Architecture and Management]
- Page 4 [Micron P320h]
- Page 5 [Test System and Methodology]
- Page 6 [4K Random Read/Write]
- Page 7 [8K Random Read/Write]
- Page 8 [128K Sequential Read/Write]
- Page 9 [OLTP and Webserver]
- Page 10 [Fileserver and Emailserver]
- Page 11 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Naughty Dog announces March 18, 2016 release for Uncharted 4 on PS4
- Google is trying to make 4K video less demanding on your connection
- FBI says companies lost $1.2B due to email scams since October 2013
- Qualcomm's next chip will use machine learning to detect malware
- Intel teases 100TB or larger SSDs for 2020
- Kingston DataTraveler microDuo 3C USB 3.1 Type-C Flash Drive Review
- PC-Q01/PC-Q03 Sizing Questions
- USB 3.0 header availability for PC-C37?
- Clean install windows 10 after being an insider
- Corsair Hydro H110i GTX High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20