Hopefully by now our readers are somewhat familiar with the FSP brand as we have covered a few of their power supplies already. For those that aren't, FSP is well known across the seas and do quite a bit of manufacturing for many OEMs.
The company has been making a push in the U.S. with their own branded power supplies and so far they have done very well. Both of the units we have taken a look at were very solid and provided something for both the power user and the enthusiast.
Today we have something a little more geared towards the low end, but also for the quiet computing crowd. The FSP AURUM Xilenser 500W power supply is a dual rail unit and is fanless. This makes it optimal for those in need of silence, such as those with studio equipment and HTPCs. It also claims to have 80 PLUS Gold efficiency with numbers in the 90's.
FSP currently only offers the Xilenser series in 400W and 500W models, but they have each in both a fixed cable and modular design. Our unit features fixed cables, but keep in mind that if you're looking for fanless and modular, FSP can cater to those needs as well.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
DC output is a little different than what you would expect with a 500W power supply. Typically there would be a single 12V rail, but the FSP Aurum Xilenser 500W has dual 12V rails. Each 12V rail is rated for 22A each with a combined maximum output of 41A or 492W. Both of the minor rails are rated for 20A each or 100W total. The 5VSB rail is capable of 2.5A or a total of 12.5W. This is quite typical of what you should expect from a power supply of this wattage. It is more than enough to provide silent power for a mid range computer.
FSP does a good job of filling out the feature list. While the voltage, current and power protections are always important, the over temperature protection is even more important in a fanless power supply. While it isn't listed anywhere in the manual, on the box or on FSP's website, it does have OTP. FSP should look at making this feature more visible to the public. The Xilenser 500W has an 80 PLUS Gold rating and features fully sleeved natively wired cabling. As we stated earlier, FSP does offer the unit with modular cables as well. Unfortunately, this power supply is not rated for 100% continuous output at 50C nor could we find any documentation on what temperature FSP rates the unit at.
FSP lists the Aurum Xilenser 500W power supply for $179.99 on their own website and they are out of stock. We are sure that as more of these make it to the market that you'll find them a little cheaper. After all, $180 is a bit high for a 500W power supply, even if it is 80 PLUS Gold rated and fanless.
FSP does back the unit by a five year warranty, which is very nice to see on a fanless unit.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Last Guardian pre-order numbers have surprised Sony
- ESA gets $425 million extra to complete ExoMars mission
- Pok√©mon GO launches surprise Xmas updates this month
- Interview with Dov Moran, inventor of the USB stick
- Xbox One defeats PS4 in online Black Friday sales
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand