It's no secret that Western Digital's enterprise flagship enthusiast drive has lost a lot of market share to solid state drives. Before consumer SSDs became popular, every enthusiast on the planet was rocking a 10,000 RPM Raptor.
It wasn't uncommon to find several in power user's systems in RAID arrays. When the 300GB model launch I had eight in my main computer, drives that I still have and are still running strong today. Testimonies like that are all over the internet and go to show the longevity this series of products are capable of. When you talk to your grandfather or even your father you might hear them say, "They don't make them like that anymore", well Western Digital still do.
The new Western Digital VelociRaptor might be slower compared to the latest crop of SSDs, but it still has a lot going for it. The first is it's based on proven technology. When was the last time you had to flash your mechanical HDDs firmware just to keep it from blue screening? Users that keep a lot of data on their boot drive also favor spinners because they offer much more capacity over equally priced SSDs. The cost per GB of space is much lower, even for a flagship VelociRaptor drive.
Western Digital recently launched three new models that make up the latest generation of VelociRaptors. The capacity sizes are 250GB, 500GB and the first 1TB model to take on this namesake. All three models use 10,000 RPM platters and that is what gives this family low latency.
Today we're looking at the largest model in the family, the 1TB model.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Halo 5 requires 60GB of HDD space on Xbox One
- Allison Road abandons Kickstarter, as it has found itself a publisher
- Check out this awesome 'Back to the Future' vinyl box set
- Ronda Rousey's 'Road House' remake finds its director
- Square Enix could crowdfund the localization of its Japanese games
- Open Hour Gecko TV Box Review
- z87 killer no display after new installation ((URGENT))
- Z170 Raid Setup Post Win7x64 Install to M.2
- airflow questions for lian li pco-6 case
- eee 1000H BIOS stuck + BIOS flash problems
- Kingston Announces the HyperX Cloud Mav Edition Headset
- Super Talent Releases New 128GB USB 2.0 Pico C Drives
- EK Releases Full-coverage Water Block for Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD
- ASUSTOR Launches 31 Series, Economical and Powerful 4K Multimedia NAS
- GELID Announces the GC-Pro Thermal Compound