It seems a lot of the times that I do run across some sort of HTPC chassis, they seem to be as tiny as possible to not be an intrusion on your home theaters design or layout. The benefit of these smaller units is that they can offer you all of the ability of a desktop PC, but most won't allow for graphics cards or even an add-on sound card to deliver the top end performance we expect out of our HTPCs. For my own HTPC needs, if I am on the couch for the day, taking root into the fabric, I don't want to get up for anything really. Whether I am streaming a movie from my desktop, or when that gets old, playing a game, or if I get the burst of energy, I may want to use it to stream music to the surround sound receiver as I tinker around the house checking things off the "honey-do" list. The smaller units will allow me to surf and potentially watch 1080p movies, but my Zotac Mini-ITX setup has a piss poor onboard VGA that leaves my viewing somewhat "chunky".
To solve this dilemma, you need to increase the size of the chassis to allow for more components to be added, improving both the audio and video output options. There is a delicate balance here, though. I know I wouldn't get away with a standard tower sitting in my living room, as my better half won't stand for that. So the only real solution is to look into larger HTPC chassis' that have a similar feel to the receiver, Bl-ray player, EQ and other home theater components already in the rack or spread across your HDTV stand you already have in the room. There are quite a few of these types of cases on the market, some with room inside, some with good ventilation, and even some that will hold an expansion card. It is very rare to find a HTPC solution that offers all of those features, adds a few things you don't think you need until you see it in action, and delivers it all in a very sleek and attractive looking structure.
Today we have the pleasure of going over another chassis from SilverStone with a fine tooth comb. There have been previous models in the Grandia chassis segment, all designed to deliver an attractive solution to add to your living room or home theater. Over time SilverStone has seen what works and what doesn't, and in this example, being the current top dog in the lineup, the GD06 has a little bit of everything while doing away with things like a tiny LCD you couldn't see across the room anyways. Stepping up the cooling inside of the chassis, SilverStone allows for more powerful systems to be properly cooled when we do decide to play our favorite game title on the big screen. Without giving too much of it away up front, I say we move from this right into the specifications so you can wrap your mind around everything found inside and outside of the latest Grandia Series in the GD 06 HTPC chassis.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Star Citizen's social module launches alongside v1.2 patch
- Razer launches new Nabu smartband wearable during PAX Prime
- Xbox One Mini isn't real, says Phil Spencer
- Marvel Studios founder to bring Borderlands to the big screen
- ASUS starts teasing the ROG MATRIX video cards are on their way
- Adam Elements iKlips iOS Lightning / USB 3.0 Flash Drive Review
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20