Just as you would expect, there are some limitations to using multiple power supplies. The one thing that most think about when they find out that you can put multiple PSU's in a single system is to have them power on and off with a single switch on the case. This isn't possible due to how the PSU is turned off and the complications it would cause with both systems. Simply put, you will have a 20+4 pin connector just hanging loose in the system with no use. It is too bad that these power supplies are not fully modular so that you could alleviate this problem.
Another limitation that you are going to find is something we mentioned in our review on the single BW-B620JL PSU. Even with dual 620W power supplies, you are still only going to have enough power connectors for dual GPU's. This is yet another reason that modular connectors would be nice as you could pick and choose what cables you'd like on the system.
The chart above shows a list of what connectors are available when using two 620W PSU's.
Installation and Setup
We decided to use the Cooler Master ATCS 840 chassis for testing out our dual PSU setup as it was designed for this out of the box. Installing the dual power supplies was easy as could be and within minutes we had one installed at the bottom of the tower and one at the top.
Linking the two power supplies was just as easy as you'd expect. One end of the MLC cable goes in line with the first PSU and the other end of it goes in line with the second PSU. That's all there is to it and you're ready to go.
We had no issues using our second power supply to power a second GPU and our drives while using the first to power the first GPU and motherboard. We did however have a ton of extra cables and connectors to hide, just as we expected.
The concept of utilizing multiple power supplies isn't new, especially to enthusiasts. One of the reasons that there are such high wattage power supplies on the market is to alleviate the need for DIY solutions for additional power in a single system. This still isn't enough for some and it is nice to see a manufacturer supported (and built-in) solution for this. It is something that many have wanted to see for many years and it is quite apparent that the solution is incredibly simple and easy.
While we give Jou Jye big props for bringing this solution to the market, it seems that they should have put a lot more thought into what PSU's they utilized it on and the specific features of these PSU's. As it stands, their dual PSU solution just isn't viable. It is too cost prohibitive when there are already better single PSU solutions available for the same price with better efficiency and better connector availability.
Hopefully Jou Jye expands their line of PSU's relatively soon and this could easily change. Add an 800W and 1000W PSU with full modular cables to the line and you've got a much better solution for a wider audience. Until then, Jou Jye's dual PSU solution is little more than overpriced bling, albeit functional.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Vinyl sales have outpaced streaming revenues, according to the RIAA
- NASA dumps over 8,400 photos from the Apollo moon mission onto Flickr
- Samsung Galaxy S7 will have Qualcomm or Samsung processors
- NVIDIA showed off its next-gen HBM-based Pascal GPU in Japan recently
- Players attempt to enter nostalgia trip as CODPROMOD kicks on
- Why will my video card not work?
- M.2 Drive not showing up.
- Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 Stabilty Issue!!!
- Tesoro Lobera Spectrum RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Review
- Gigabyte Windows 10 driver updates, Utilities...
- MASSIVE AUDIO Introduces DOCTOR WHO Bluetooth And Wired Headphones
- BOXX Introduces the World's Smallest Overclocked Workstation - APEXX 1
- AOC's New Full HD USB Monitor Makes the Perfect Laptop or Desktop Companion
- Feel the Power and Speed Inside Your Laptop NOX DDR4 64GB 3000MHz SO-DIMM The True Champion
- Creative Team Behind Earthworm Jim and The Neverhood Launch New Clay Animated Video Game, Armikrog