Lately we've focused on enthusiast power supplies capable of satisfying the needs for high end systems with multiple GPU's and overclocking. Unfortunately we haven't given much insight into some of the more mainstream power supplies that your average gamer or entry level enthusiast would consider as a part of their build. That's exactly what we are doing today.
Corsair's GS-series power supplies are aimed at those looking for a high quality power supply at a competitive price. They lack some of the additional features you see with enthusiast power supplies, but they also lack the price premium. Does the drop in price and the lack of features pay off for someone not looking for the best of the best? Keep reading on for the full review of the Corsair GS800 power supply.
Specifications, Availability and Pricing
The GS800 focuses on 12V output via a single rail. Of the 800W of total power available, the GS800 is capable of outputting over 97% of that on the 12V rail. This makes it great for someone looking to build or upgrade to SLI or CrossFire. Corsair also gives you 25A of power on both the 3.3V and 5V rails, which should provide plenty of power to the rest of your rig.
Corsair gives you plenty of features for a mainstream power supply including all of the important protections and cable features. What they don't give you are over-temperature protection and modular cabling, neither of which are huge deal breakers. While Corsair don't give the GS800 a 50C rating, they do give it a modest 40C rating instead, which is more typical of the mainstream/entry level enthusiast power supplies. The GS-series power supplies also feature a 3-color LED fan inside. The fan can be illuminated in red, blue, and white via a switch on the back of the power supply. The illumination can also be turned off if desired.
Availability is a little odd for the GS-series of power supplies. Corsair says that their GS-series customers are more likely to shop at retail outlets than at online stores, so they are only selling the GS power supplies in stores such as Fry's and Best Buy. I made a quick trip to both stores to see what I could find. While I was able to find the GS800 at Best Buy, my local Fry's only had the 600W version available. The GS800 retails at $139.99 and comes with a 3-year warranty.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction, Specifications, Availability and Pricing]
- Page 2 [The Packaging]
- Page 3 [Inside the Box]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Razer announces a new customizable Xbox One controller for $150
- Secure, Powerful Hard Drive Storage for 20% Off
- Turtle Beach shows off Star Wars Battlefront-themed headphones
- Head of Islamic State Cyber Caliphate killed by drone strike
- Scosche launches the boomBOTTLE+ waterproof Bluetooth speaker
- MSI GeForce GTX 980 Ti Lightning Video Card Review
- Buffalo WXR-1900DHP DD-WRT NXT AC1900 Wireless Router Review
- ASRock Extreme4 x99 boot failure with more than 2 G.SKILL F4-3000C15D-16GRBB
- [Share]Lorkag GOP updater tool for AMD and NVIDIA VBIOS
- AMD Radeon R9 Nano Preview - Fiji and HBM Go Under the Shrink Ray
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20