Speaking technically, let's start by looking at some specifications.
Bluetooth Version: Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
Power Output: 15watts RMS (each channel)
Frequency Response: 45-20KHz
Supported Bluetooth profiles:
* A2DP (Wireless Stereo Bluetooth)*
* AVRCP (Bluetooth Remote Control)**
Frequency: 2.4 GHz
Operating Range: Up to 10 meters (measured in open space. Walls and structures may affect range of device)
Dimensions (L x W x H): 42.5cm x 11cm x 9cm (16.7" x 4.3" x 3.5")
Weight: 3.8Kg / 8.4lbs
The ZiiSound uses a very high quality digital amp and digital processing stage to maintain total signal integrity. The efficiency of this amp is given at 80% which is really quite good. This amp also uses a MOSFET output stage which is real hi-fi spec.
The D5 uses a single monocoque exo-skeleton for maximum rigidity. This shell also features strengthening pillars inside to aid in this process. The use of a special baffle design has been implemented in order to further project the sound in the way a horn loaded speaker would, but without the coloration.
The drivers are custom specified dispersion controlled units. Basically, a lot of time and engineering has gone into ensuring that these drivers disperse the sound very well indeed.
Inside the ZiiSound D5 lies some very exciting technology, arguably the most important of which is Apt-X. Below are some technical figures for its performance for Bluetooth applications. Basically it's a proprietary audio codec that allows for high fidelity audio to be sent wherever needed and is used right the way through to professional performances.
- Apt-X (for) Bluetooth Specs
Compression Ratio: 4:1
Audio Format: 16-bit, 44.1kHz (CD-Quality)
Data Rates: 352Kbps
Frequency Response: 10Hz to 22kHz
Algorithmic Delay: 92bB, THD+N -68.8dB
Furthermore, Apt-X say that when incorporated into A2DP Bluetooth products Apt-X (Bluetooth) can deliver full wired audio quality without the wires. Whether your music is stored uncompressed or in a compressed format such as MP3, AAC, FLAC etc. the result should still sound the same as a wired system, according to their company spiel.
Interesting enough, the claim of having 2Mbit's of headroom with this codec is, well, quite a big one. Also Interesting to us was how this version of Apt-X samples the whole spectrum of sound from 10-22KHz which basically takes the Bluetooth rule book and shreds it. This certainly sounds like an exciting revival for Bluetooth, but there is still more of interest away from this codec.
This system is quite heavy and feels like it's a solid piece of material out of which space for everything has been carved and has two heavy duty gun metal end caps to finish it all off nicely. There are two 2.75" speaker drivers of a very high quality inside. There is also a small bass port on the rear of the unit to provide a little bit of a thump to everything.
There is a very neat little touch control volume slider that eliminates the need for having any dials or knobs on the system. There is, however, a single switch located in the most awkward place possible; right at the rear of the system, down the bottom.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Dark Souls developer's next game will be on PlayStation VR
- AMD's upcoming Radeon R9 M480 rocks a Polaris 11 GPU
- Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare ARG reveals faction details
- PNY launches its new GeForce GTX 950/GTX 960 XLR8 OC series
- AMD's next-gen Polaris GPUs get busted on GFXBench
- AMD Radeon Software Crimson Edition (RSCE) 16.4.2 Overview
- Sabertooth Z170 S - Accessory fan
- C2750D4I BMC Self Test Status Failure
- ASRock and Intel teams up to create one of the smallest mini PCs: DeskMini
- Sapphire launches Radeon Pro Duo for ultimate VR & 4K experience
- Seagate now shipping 10TB helium enterprise drive in volume
- ENERMAX announces the new DFR technology with D.F.PRESSURE
- World's first 24/7 esports TV channel launched