First the bad; the cooler is a little loud for my liking and while we're dealing with more high end performance, it's still a mid range card. Now for the good. Well, that's easy; everything else! - Performance on the model is stronger than the strongest we've seen and really, performance isn't all that far away from a GTX 470 which costs significantly more.
Priced at $255 as well, it's aggressive and while you're paying a premium for the overclock, the bottom line is the huge overclock does wonders for performance. The cooler while being a bit loud is pretty good. It keeps the temps at a good level and honestly, the ability to move it back to get access to the heatsink without voiding warranty is a nice little feature. It's exceptionally handy for systems that get very dusty or for people who just like to keep their system fairly dust free.
It's nice to see that Galaxy have chosen to include a Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and not just adapter. It ultimately helps the package stand out a little more when compared to some of the other cards we've looked at.
Galaxy has as always done a great job; I think the fact that they're a NVIDIA only partner means that when it comes to building NVIDIA cards they want to aim to be the best while making sure pricing is still aggressive. I think because of that drive we're seeing great models from them. The GTX 460 Super OC doesn't disappoint and the Super OC name is very well deserved.
If we dealt with boxes, the Galaxy GTX 460 Super OC would tick all of them; it's a stand out compared to the cards that over clock in the 700MHz range which while impressive just aren't the same as these ones that come in at the 800MHz range.
The biggest clocks to date, the decision to overclock the memory, inclusion of the Mini-HDMI to HDMI cable and the cool heatsink/fan design make the model stand out from the competition. The fan could've been a little quieter and you could drop it manually down a bit when just working in Windows, but really, we're just trying to find something wrong at this point.
This is a stand out GTX 460 and just a stand out video card in general. Parting with your hard earned dollars on this card shouldn't be hard as Galaxy has laid everything on the table and we're just lapping it up.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The Card and Specifications]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 5 [Unigine Heaven Benchmark]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - CINEBENCH]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - Resident Evil 5]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - BattleForge]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - Darkest of Days]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Far Cry 2]
- Page 12 [Benchmarks - Batman Arkham Asylum]
- Page 13 [Benchmarks - Dark Void]
- Page 14 [Benchmarks - High Quality AA and AF]
- Page 15 [Benchmarks - Elcomsoft Wireless Security Auditor]
- Page 16 [Benchmarks - Badaboom]
- Page 17 [Temperature Test]
- Page 18 [Sound Test]
- Page 19 [Power Consumption Tests]
- Page 20 [Total Performance Rating (TPR)]
- Page 21 [Total Value Rating (TVR)]
- Page 22 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Elon Musk refers to Apple as 'Tesla's graveyard'
- Sony started working on PlayStation VR in 2010
- ASUS makes its PG279Q monitor official, QHD with 165Hz and G-Sync
- 'Star Wars: Rebels' season 2 trailer reveals Vader, new friends & foes
- Disney-themed prosthetic hands are now a thing
- Kingwin Power Dock PD-2537U3 Dual-Bay Clone Storage Station Review
- GA-X58A-UD3R Rev1 SSD Boot Order Issue.
- Help Updating GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2.0 Bios
- Got a Gaming 9 ACK X99S MSI MB to trade ..
- Bootloop Issue with GA-Z97N-WiFi even after RMA
- EVGA Gives Away Free Cooler Shroud Replacement to its HYBRID Series Owners
- Shuttle Offers Value Priced XPC Nano Small Form Factor PC
- MSI Announces the DS502 7.1 Gaming Headset with Active Noise-Cancelation
- Netgear Introduces Quad-Mode Business-Class Wireless-AC Access Points
- Nokia announces planned leadership and organizational structure for combined Nokia and Alcatel-Lucent