Package and Contents
The Big Bang X58 XPower box is a little different from MSI's usual packaging. It is kind of eye catching. The front is glossy black with a gold design. There is very little other decoration on the front of the box. We do see a few logos along the bottom edge, but there is not a ton of the usual hard-sell.
For those of you that miss that marketing, fear not. After you open up the front flap you will find a bunch of it. This is in addition to a glimpse of XPower through a plastic window.
The back contains more of the heavy sell that we saw on the inside of the front flap.
Inside the box are two familiar looking black boxes. These hold the Big Bang XPower and all the goodies MSI has provided you.
After pulling these boxes out, I found something very interesting. There was a book and document in a sleeve that seemed to indicate how well this particular Big Bang XPower should perform.
The document listed a set of specs as well as a high BCLK and the multiplier they used to get there. There was a disclaimer saying that due to differences in hardware you might not see the same results, but I am also thinking this is a good thing.
I spoke with MSI and while they said the certification was at this time press only, they are considering to do this for all of their upper end motherboards. I think this would be a very good move.
You do get a huge load of loot with the XPower, though, as you can see from the stack we piled up in the picture above. One of the interesting things that came in the box is something we normally only see in a GIGABYTE box. This is a powered external SATA port with a Molex power connector.
MSI has also thrown in some nice little extenders for their voltage monitoring points on the board. These allow you to connect your leads a little more efficiently.
One item that MSI has added in gave me a little bit of a laugh. This is the OC Dashboard. I was not laughing because they included this; I was laughing at what it looked like. It looked almost exactly like my garage door opener. I hope that MSI refines this part and makes it look as good as it functions (we will cover this below).
Last on our list of fun gadgets is the Quantum Wave audio card. This is a THX, EAX 5.0 and Alchemy laden sound board that should help the audiophiles in the crowd enjoy their games more.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 6 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 9 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests Part II]
- Page 11 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 12 [Final Thoughts]
- Page 13 [Update: PCMark Vantage re-visited]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Apple hits record sales with their Apple Watch
- Uber is opening an advanced AI lab
- Surgeon Simulator ER is out on Steam and PSVR
- ESA extends ISS participation to 2024
- AMD Radeon GPU tech will power Intel's next-gen iGPUs
- Will this Build be Quite, Small and powerfull ?
- Mouse skipping/jumping and audio stuttering
- [Bios problem, manual Vcore] Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 3-EU
- Strontium iDrive Nitro Lightning 64GB Card Reader Review
- Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z170 Fan control & PWM issue
- Micron accelerates adoption of all-flash data centers with highest-capacity enterprise SATA Solid State Drive
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand