Hmmm, what to say here? I could say that I was a little disappointed that Gulftown/ Core i7 980X did not perform better, or that I expected to see more headroom in overclocking. However, that is not the case. I saw a great performing CPU and there was still plenty of headroom for OC.
It is true that the i7 980X is not going to boost your gaming performance by much (if at all). What the i7 980X will do is increase your ability to get more done. The 12 available threads are going to weigh in heavily as more applications become multi-thread aware. The number of applications in both the professional space and the consumer space is increasing every day. Of course, this is not a CPU for the weak of heart or tight of wallet. It is meant for those that want/need the most power they can get from a single CPU.
As you can see in our render and transcoding testing, the 980X simply cannot be touched by any other single CPU and gives more than one GPU a run for its money. We have comparison of this planned for a later article. For right now the Core i7 980X is simply the fastest single CPU you can buy. Intel has made a smart move here; you get two extra cores, four more threads and four more MB of cache at the same price level the i7 975 was at less than a year ago.
If you are a person that needs the extra headroom or simply want to have the best that is out, then the 980X is the way to go.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- AMD's next-gen Vega 10 leaks - are they the real deal?
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset