What's new with the 890GX
As we mentioned in our intro, the 890GX is a brand new game. Unlike the PCIe 1.0 limited P55 and H55, the 890GX has shifted to all PCIe 2.0 lanes.
This means that each lane has twice the bandwidth (500MB/s vs. 250MB/s) that the Intel chipsets offer (or at least the P55 and H5x ones). This gives the 890GX much more headroom and has allowed AMD to implement SATA 3.0 in the Southbridge and a wider and more efficient path to the USB 3.0 controller, too.
This is going to give AMD an advantage over Intel's P55 and H5x chipsets in terms of SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 performance. This is even when compared to solutions like the ones that ASUS and GIGABYTE are using (with a bridge chip providing the extra lanes).
A New IGP
But the use of all PCIe 2.0 lanes and SATA 3.0 ports are not the only new things. AMD has also stuffed in a new and more powerful IGP; this is the 4290. The 4290 has a cluster of 40 unified shaders, a 700MHz clock speed and a 64/128-bit memory interface.
The HD 4290 also has some exciting features for the HTPC and mainstream market. For the HTPC crowd you will be happy to know that the HD 4290 includes hardware accelerated up scaling, Stream accelerated transcoding, AVIVO and real time color correction. It also has support for Blu-ray 1.1 features and DX10.1.
The last of the above features is a little interesting given AMD's push for DX11. Still, considering there is not another IGP out with full DX11 support, AMD does seem to be in a good position with the HD 4290.
Some old friends
But with the new there are some old friends that you have come to know and love from AMD chipsets. There is the popular core unlocking feature that has allowed more than one tri and even dual core owner to become a full-fledged quad owner. The AM3 socket brings DDR3 support and allows you to use just about any of the AMD CPUs on the market. Hybrid Crossfire and AMD Overdrive slip in there, too.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [What's new with the 890GX]
- Page 3 [The Packaging]
- Page 4 [The Motherboard]
- Page 5 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 6 [Test System Setup and Comments]
- Page 7 [Synthetic Tests - Part I]
- Page 8 [Synthetic Tests - Part II]
- Page 9 [Synthetic Tests - Part III]
- Page 10 [Real-World Tests - Part I]
- Page 11 [Real-World Tests - Part II]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Corsair's Commander Pro controls all case fans, lighting
- Google's 4K digital whiteboard available for $5000
- Acer's new Predator Z35P: 35-inch 3440x1440 100Hz G-Sync
- Crackdown 3 coming to PC, is an Xbox Play Anywhere title
- Samsung unveils bendable/stretchable OLED display
- Asus active pen (for T303UA)
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning