With our FX-8150 well and truly having done the rounds in launch coverage, it's time to see what's going on with some of the boards that we've been collecting here over the past few weeks prior to the launch of Bulldozer.
We've got boards from ASRock, ASUS and GIGABYTE, but we'll start off today by checking out the MSI offering - the 990FXA-GD80. As usual, we'll start off by checking out the package before we take a closer look at the board itself.
Once that's done we'll move into the BIOS to see what's going on before we get into the performance side of things. Normally we'd also cover overclocking, but unfortunately, like what has happened to other sites, our FX-8150 has moved to greener silicon.
We're in the process of getting another FX-8150, but we'll be tossing up later if we choose to continue overclocking the processor, as the last thing we want to do is have a second die on us. Hopefully there's just a few dud ones floating about and this isn't a problem we'll see show up more and more as time goes on.
For now, though, let's get into the package of our MSI 990FXA-GD80 and see exactly what's going on.
Checking out the box, it's pretty typical of the GD80. We've got the front and back and as usual the front opens up to give us a larger run down on some of the main features that the motherboard offers while also giving us a closer look at it.
Getting inside the package, we've got an absolute bucket load of paperwork to go along with our driver CD. You can see we've got a quick setup and normal manual present along with a couple more manuals explaining some of the software that's on offer.
In the cable department we've got six SATA cables, two Molex to SATA connectors, three SLI bridges, I/O back plate and some little headers which make adding cables like USB and front panel connectors a little easier.
Along with all that, we've got a USB 3.0 connector included in the package that can be installed at the back of your case. The added extra is pretty typical from the higher end MSI boards and we're not going to complain about more USB 3.0 ports.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction and Package]
- Page 2 [The Motherboard]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard Continued]
- Page 4 [BIOS]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup]
- Page 6 [CPU Benchmarks]
- Page 7 [System Benchmarks]
- Page 8 [USB 2.0 and 3.0 Benchmarks]
- Page 9 [SSD Benchmarks]
- Page 10 [Memory Benchmarks]
- Page 11 [Gaming Benchmarks]
- Page 12 [Temperature and Power]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- GTA V NaturalVision Remastered mod looks freaking INCREDIBLE
- Epic Games shows off real-time ray traced digital character
- Edward Snowden: NSA tracks ALL Bitcoin users private info
- PowerColor Radeon RX Vega Red Dragon: triple-fan custom card
- Qualcomm Snapdragon-powered notebooks: EPIC battery life
- (20 Pieces) Apple iPhone X (www.BizFests.com) 64GB $12,980
- GIGABYTE Z170MX Gaming5 non K overclock
- Buy (10 Pieces) Apple iPhone X Brand New Unlocked 64GB $7,490
- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB 140mm Magnetic Levitation Review
- AMD Ryzen Master Utility Memory Access Mode Greyed Out ASROCK x399
- Micron Launches Industry's First Enterprise SATA Solid State Drives Built on Leading 64-layer 3D NAND Technology
- Micron, Rambus, Northwest Logic and Avery Design to Deliver a Comprehensive GDDR6 Solution for Next-Generation Applications
- Toshiba Memory America Unveils UFS Devices Utilizing 64-Layer, 3D Flash Memory
- ASUS Announces GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Series Gaming Graphics Cards
- ASUS Announces ASUS Hangouts Meet Hardware Kit