Compared to the non Blu-ray supporting iHAS322, the iHES208 is a little off the pace when it comes to dealing with DVD content. When you combine this with the fact that the Blu-ray supporting drive is more expensive, I would suggest that if you've got the room that you look at buying a standalone DVD-ROM drive like the iHAS322 if this drive is going into your main PC.
This will do a few things; first and foremost the biggest benefit is that a drive like the iHAS322 will just be a bit quicker all round when it comes to working with DVDs. Equally important, if not more so, would be the fact that you're not placing more load than you need to the more expansive Blu-ray drive.
With DVD-ROM drives being so cheap, motherboards offering us a large amount of SATA connections and in most cases easily supporting two ROM drives, it's not only a small investment, but a wise one.
Of course, if the iHES208 is going into something like a HTPC, the chances are you probably already have a DVD player for movies. The chances are also high as well that the drive itself won't get the same amount of usage as one sitting in your main machine.
For the most part, though, iHES208 performance is good when it comes to DVDs and when it comes to Blu-rays it's fantastic with the biggest bonus being that the drive of course supports the technology.
While it's fine to replace your current DVD drive with the iHES208, unless you really need to I would suggest that you just keep what your currently using installed to work alongside this drive.
Since a DVD drive comes in at less than $30 and the IHES208 at around $110, you're only really going to buy one if you intend to watch Blu-rays. For that, this drive is fantastic, especially when you accompany it with AnyDVD HD to unlock some pesky Blu-ray features.
If you're going to watch Blu-rays, this is a fantastic product. If you're not, it's essentially an overpriced DVD drive. Why you would be looking at something like this without the intention to use its Blu-ray capabilities is beyond me.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Package]
- Page 3 [The ROM Drive]
- Page 4 [Test System Setup and Nero Disc Speed]
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Xiaomi is rumored to announce a VR headset on August 1
- Farming Simulator 2017 gameplay trailer released
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has gone gold, is ready for August 24 release
- EA is centralizing its Battlefield games under a single UI
- AMD details their new Radeon RX 470 and RX 460 graphics cards
- Can't use Google maps
- Main GA Z97X UD5H BK cannot boot with VGA R9 280X
- Z170 Deluxe Help Setup with RAID10 + SSD for OS
- C2750D4i no POST turns off after couple of seconds
- Polaris Nitro-charged - introducing the SAPPHIRE NITRO+ Radeon RX 480
- AccelStor debuting NeoSapphire 3706-ES1 at Flash Memory Summit 2016
- Elitegroup ceremoniously launches ECS H110S-2P mini-STX motherboard and the all-new LIVA Pro Mini PC
- MSI announces custom GeForce GTX 1060 graphics cards
- Seagate unveils the industry's broadest 10TB portfolio