Overclocking RAM has two schools of thought. The first and most common is looking for the fastest speed you can get. This is what most people think of when you mention overclocking. But there is a second method that has been around for a while and is growing in momentum. This is finding the tightest timings you can get and is actually more important with an internal memory controller than just simply pushing the MHz up as high as you can get.
For our testing we tried out both methods and then checked to see what the performance difference was (if any).
For sheer speed we managed 1866 MHz with timings of 9-9-9-24 2T. This was at 1.64 volts and while stable, was hindered by the loser timings.
On the other end of the spectrum we were able to get 1600MHz at 7-8-8-22 1T which seemed to give us the best performance. We included all of our overclocking results with the performance results below.
In other testing the Corsair Dominator GT did allow us to get an 8th place mark in SuperPi Mod 1.5 (from Xtreme Systems) for the hardware used and a high point benchable OC of 4426MHz on our Core i5 750.
Important Editor Note: Our maximum overclocking result is the best result we managed in our limited time of testing the memory. Due to time constraints we weren't able to tweak the motherboard to the absolute maximum and find the highest possible FSB, as this could take days to find properly. We do however spend at least a few hours overclocking every motherboard to try and find the highest possible overclock in that time frame. You may or may not be able to overclock higher if you spend more time tweaking, or as new BIOS updates are released. "Burn-in" time might also come into play if you believe in that.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Australia: Find other tech and computer products like this over at PLE Computer's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Recommended for You
Latest News Posts
- Survive 'The Walking Dead' in our latest Blu-ray giveaway
- Mortal Kombat X cancelled for the Xbox 360 and PS3
- Grand Theft Auto V 'ENBSeries' 4K screenshots will blow you away
- Just two of Intel's new Skylake CPUs are unlocked for overclocking
- Minecraft creator has 'never felt more isolated' with his $2.5 billion
- New network adapter making graphics card fail.
- x99 Extreme 4/3.1 Red Light + No Display
- Build Advice End of 2015 ASUS X99-A/USB 3.1
- X99 Extreme 6ac eSATA
- Until Dawn Sony PlayStation 4 Review
- CYBERTRONPC ANNOUNCES SMALL FORM FACTOR SYSTEM WITH AMD R9 NANO GRAPHICS CARD
- SilverStone Storage Devices - Mobile Series - MS08
- ASRock Z170 OC Formula Sets More Records at IDF 2015 San Francisco!
- ATTO Technology to Display Network and Storage Connectivity Portfolio at VMworld 2015
- SilverStone Accessories - Expansion Cards - ECM20