Processors: AMD Opteron 2356 (2.3GHz Quad-Core) x2
Motherboard: Tyan S2915-E (Supplied by Tyan)
Memory: Kingston KVR667D2S4P5/2G x4 (Supplied by Kingston)
Graphics Card: XFX 8800 GTX (Supplied by XFX USA)
Enclosure: Lian Li V2000
Cooling: Noctua NH-U12DO (Supplied by Noctua)
SATA Controller: HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 (Supplied by HighPoint)
SAS Controller: Areca ARC-1680i (Supplied by Areca)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate X64
When you turn on the system the 2310 will have a blue screen that opens up prior to the OS launch. Here you can setup your array(s), but a majority of the advance setup features are only available when you flash the controller's firmware.
We had an issue with our Tyan S2915-E and the HighPoint controller didn't want to play nice with our onboard LSI SAS, Areca SATA and Areca SAS controllers. We had to go in and disable INT 13, but since we were not booting from the 2310 it was not an issue. The motherboard does allow several custom configurations in its extremely advanced BIOS. The Tyan S2915-E is a full workstation/server board that is designed with many advanced features; sometimes it does tend to get in the way of itself and that is the case we had here. The HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 is plug and play with most standard motherboards. I confirmed this with an ASUS X58 desktop board; the 2310 worked exactly like it was meant to.
We will be testing the HighPoint RocketRAID in several different array types with four Seagate 7200.11 1TB drives. These are the same drives we use with all of our controller and NAS server tests. When looking at the benchmarks, some of the information will be abbreviated to save space. The R followed by a number stands for RAID. So R10 is RAID 10, two drives striped with a second set of striped drives for parity, essentially RAID 0 and RAID 1 together. The D stands for Drive, so R10 4D stands for RAID 10, 4 Drives. JBOD is the technical term for a single disk being benchmarked and it stands for Just a Bunch of Disks.
One area that HighPoint wanted me to point out was the Firmware setup and the advanced options that are only found while flashing the controller.
Here we see the configuration settings that are only available when you use the configuration button just prior to flashing the controller. If you are having issues with your system booting with the controller, mainly when drives are present, use this screen to disable INT 13. When you do this you can't boot from the controller, but this is a very rare issue and one that HighPoint is working on correcting.
The software that HighPoint has for Windows allows users to configure their arrays inside of the operating system. You can even use the software to configure controllers that are inside of other computers by accessing the controller through the network.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Playdead drops Inside game demo free via Steam site
- Small patch for No Man's Sky incoming
- Resident Evil 7's campaign takes 14-16 hours to beat
- Worms WMD is getting an update on December 7
- View the new Hearthstone expansion cards online
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- Fnatic Gear Clutch G1 Optical Gaming Mouse Review
- X99 Professional Gaming i7 and RAM question
- ADATA SV620 480GB Portable SSD Review
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset
- Tesoro opens new product line with the release of its Zone Balance gaming chair