Web Based Interface
Once you are finished with the quick setup you can move into the web based configuration utility and customize your network. To access the web configuration pages you just type the IP address of your WL-500g Premium V2 into your favourite web browser; the default is usually 192.168.1.1.
Once you login you are greeted by the Network Map Screen. This gives you information about the setup of your network including clients, attached printers or drives, your connection status to the internet and all of your wireless network configuration information, all in an easy to read layout. The Network Map can even show you the capacity and remaining space left on your attached drives.
Along the left side of the Web Setup are links to take you to different places in the configuration. There are two types here; the larger buttons (usually having stars by them) and these are your quick configuration pages for things such as the UPnP Media Server, AIDisk (an easy for of FTP) and EZQoS for setting up traffic profiles.
The first one we will cover is the UPnP Media Server. With this you can automatically connect to other multi-media systems such as Windows XP Media Center Edition, Vista, and The Xbox.
Next on our list is the AIDisk Wizard. This handy tool will walk you through the setup of attached drives for use as an FTP server. The wizard is three steps;
1 - Determine the type of security you want.
You can set this up as limitless (meaning no login), limited (users must have a login and password with read only and read and write permission levels), and admin rights, which is administrator rights only to all users set up. From there you can setup Dynamic DNS through ASUS or input your own IP and domain name (if you have one).
EZQoS is the next button down; here you can segment your network to handle certain traffic faster. The WL-500g Premium V2 has four profiles that are self explanatory:
- Gaming Blaster
- Internet Application
- VoIP/Video Shraring
Next up is all of your advanced configuration options. These are mostly supporting options for the main settings in addition to administrative functions for your router.
There are a couple of highlights, though. One of the most interesting is in the operation mode. Here you can choose how you are going to put the WL-500g Premium V2 to use. You have options for home gateway, router for business and wireless access point.
You also have advanced options for QoS including setting the fragmentation size for long packets. You can setup and manage your FTP and internal shares in the USB Application menu and setup virtual servers in the WAN menu. Firewall options include DDoS attack protection along with MAC, IP and URL filtering.
As you can see, the WL-500g Premium V2 is a pretty feature packed device. There are numerous roles it can play in your home or small office network. All of these can be setup with a few simple clicks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Recommended for You
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- South Korea is getting an online version of Titanfall
- Artificial intelligence creates a (bad) Christmas song
- MacBook Pro GPU issues caused by software, not AMD
- HP's new supercomputer is 8000x faster than your PC
- AMD's Zen-capable X370 boards preview on December 13
- Gigabyte gaming 5 z170mx cant enable raid need help
- ASUS UX305UA - time till boot starts varies a lot
- Ga z170m d3h ddr3-cf seek bios non-k_oc and kaby_support
- ROCCAT SOVA MK Gaming Lapboard Review
- ASRock 990fx extreme4 & Fast- Ultra Fast Boot Issues
- ENERMAX launches REVOLUTION SFX, with the highest wattage 650W full modular SFX Model in standard 100mm depth
- Intel Extreme Masters Season 11 finals confirmed for two weekends in March with more than $600,000 in prizing
- Ultimate Media Ventures teams up with The Coalition for sanctioned December 18 Gears Of War 4 Pro-Am eSports Battle On The Strip Event
- Thecus introduces Scale-Out architecture to meet rising enterprise storage demand
- Plantronics launches RIG 800 series - first 24-hour wireless gaming headset