Web Based Interface
Once you are finished with the quick setup you can move into the web based configuration utility and customize your network. To access the web configuration pages you just type the IP address of your WL-500g Premium V2 into your favourite web browser; the default is usually 192.168.1.1.
Once you login you are greeted by the Network Map Screen. This gives you information about the setup of your network including clients, attached printers or drives, your connection status to the internet and all of your wireless network configuration information, all in an easy to read layout. The Network Map can even show you the capacity and remaining space left on your attached drives.
Along the left side of the Web Setup are links to take you to different places in the configuration. There are two types here; the larger buttons (usually having stars by them) and these are your quick configuration pages for things such as the UPnP Media Server, AIDisk (an easy for of FTP) and EZQoS for setting up traffic profiles.
The first one we will cover is the UPnP Media Server. With this you can automatically connect to other multi-media systems such as Windows XP Media Center Edition, Vista, and The Xbox.
Next on our list is the AIDisk Wizard. This handy tool will walk you through the setup of attached drives for use as an FTP server. The wizard is three steps;
1 - Determine the type of security you want.
You can set this up as limitless (meaning no login), limited (users must have a login and password with read only and read and write permission levels), and admin rights, which is administrator rights only to all users set up. From there you can setup Dynamic DNS through ASUS or input your own IP and domain name (if you have one).
EZQoS is the next button down; here you can segment your network to handle certain traffic faster. The WL-500g Premium V2 has four profiles that are self explanatory:
- Gaming Blaster
- Internet Application
- VoIP/Video Shraring
Next up is all of your advanced configuration options. These are mostly supporting options for the main settings in addition to administrative functions for your router.
There are a couple of highlights, though. One of the most interesting is in the operation mode. Here you can choose how you are going to put the WL-500g Premium V2 to use. You have options for home gateway, router for business and wireless access point.
You also have advanced options for QoS including setting the fragmentation size for long packets. You can setup and manage your FTP and internal shares in the USB Application menu and setup virtual servers in the WAN menu. Firewall options include DDoS attack protection along with MAC, IP and URL filtering.
As you can see, the WL-500g Premium V2 is a pretty feature packed device. There are numerous roles it can play in your home or small office network. All of these can be setup with a few simple clicks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
Latest News Posts
- OnePlus teases the OnePlus 5 color options
- ISS crew on an urgent spacewalk after equipment failure
- Far Cry 5 may have exclusive content on PS4
- Meizu launches new mid-range smartphone - the M5c
- Carl Pei hints that OnePlus 5 might keep headphone jack
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning