Web Based Interface
Once you are finished with the quick setup you can move into the web based configuration utility and customize your network. To access the web configuration pages you just type the IP address of your WL-500g Premium V2 into your favourite web browser; the default is usually 192.168.1.1.
Once you login you are greeted by the Network Map Screen. This gives you information about the setup of your network including clients, attached printers or drives, your connection status to the internet and all of your wireless network configuration information, all in an easy to read layout. The Network Map can even show you the capacity and remaining space left on your attached drives.
Along the left side of the Web Setup are links to take you to different places in the configuration. There are two types here; the larger buttons (usually having stars by them) and these are your quick configuration pages for things such as the UPnP Media Server, AIDisk (an easy for of FTP) and EZQoS for setting up traffic profiles.
The first one we will cover is the UPnP Media Server. With this you can automatically connect to other multi-media systems such as Windows XP Media Center Edition, Vista, and The Xbox.
Next on our list is the AIDisk Wizard. This handy tool will walk you through the setup of attached drives for use as an FTP server. The wizard is three steps;
1 - Determine the type of security you want.
You can set this up as limitless (meaning no login), limited (users must have a login and password with read only and read and write permission levels), and admin rights, which is administrator rights only to all users set up. From there you can setup Dynamic DNS through ASUS or input your own IP and domain name (if you have one).
EZQoS is the next button down; here you can segment your network to handle certain traffic faster. The WL-500g Premium V2 has four profiles that are self explanatory:
- Gaming Blaster
- Internet Application
- VoIP/Video Shraring
Next up is all of your advanced configuration options. These are mostly supporting options for the main settings in addition to administrative functions for your router.
There are a couple of highlights, though. One of the most interesting is in the operation mode. Here you can choose how you are going to put the WL-500g Premium V2 to use. You have options for home gateway, router for business and wireless access point.
You also have advanced options for QoS including setting the fragmentation size for long packets. You can setup and manage your FTP and internal shares in the USB Application menu and setup virtual servers in the WAN menu. Firewall options include DDoS attack protection along with MAC, IP and URL filtering.
As you can see, the WL-500g Premium V2 is a pretty feature packed device. There are numerous roles it can play in your home or small office network. All of these can be setup with a few simple clicks.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- Get Trained (and Certified) in Cloud Computing for $39
- Take to the campaign trail with The Political Machine 2016
- Rise of the Tomb Raider's latest patch improves HBAO+, and more
- Twitter has shut down over 125,000 accounts for promoting terrorism
- Google AI, Go champ match will be broadcast live on YouTube in March
- The Hateful Eight (2015) Cinema Movie Review
- SSD compatibility
- ASrock z170 extreme 7+ Post code 00
- Apacer Panther DDR4-2666 16GB Dual-Channel Memory Kit Review
- Gigabyte GA-x79-UP4 rev1.0
- HIDEO KOJIMA AND GUILLERMO DEL TORO CONFIRMED AS D.I.C.E. SUMMIT KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
- Toshiba Introduces the Next Generation OCZ Trion 150 Series Solid-State Drive Series
- Thermaltake Kicks Off 2016 MFC (Modding Fighting Championship)
- AMD Offers New Thermal Solutions and New Processors for Reliable, Near-Silent Performance
- Thermaltake and First Green Partner Aria PC Technology Join to Promote the Smart Power Management (SPM) Platform