It's board time and Sapphire has done a very interesting job. The 790GX based board has been placed on a full size ATX PCB that is dark blue in colour.
The layout is rather clean for this board. The 24-pin ATX power connector along with the IDE and FDD port are located on the right hand side edge of the board behind the four DDR2 memory slots which are coloured yellow for channel 1 and blue for channel 2.
A 4/8 pin CPU power port is located on the left hand side behind the rear I/O ports and the heat-pipe assembly.
Moving to the storage connectors which are located towards the bottom right of the board, using the SB750 this board gets six native SATA-300 ports which support the major RAID levels as well as AHCI. These ports are not rotated and are facing up like traditional SATA ports, which may pose a problem when using large graphics cards.
AMD's retention design for its heatsinks makes it pretty good for keeping the CPU area clean, as they have a standard footprint. The board follows this and has plenty of room around it to allow large heatsinks to be installed. The CPU is fed its power through a six phase regulation system using solid sate components. A heat-pipe assembly is used to keep the voltage regulators cool. This heat-pipe assembly is used to cool the AMD 790GX Northbridge as well. As for the SB750, this is cooled by a separate heatsink.
Moving to the rear I/O ports, we have a good layout here. First off, since the 790GX has an IGP there are three different monitor options. First is the standard CRT and DVI-I port for traditional monitors. For pure digital connection there is a HDMI port that supports the latest HD video standard and audio passthrough. The rest is pretty self explanatory.
Lastly, we are down to the expansion slots that the board is equipped with. Being Crossfire based, there are two PCIe x16 slots; an orange and a blue. The orange slot is the primary slot and when the switch card is in the blue slot all 16 lanes are set to the orange slot. When the card is removed 8 lanes are stolen away and sent to the blue slot to allow Crossfire operations. Two PCIe x1 slots are placed between the two x16 slots and two legacy PCI slots make up the full compliment.
PRICING: You can find products similar to this one for sale below.
United States: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon's website.
United Kingdom: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon UK's website.
Canada: Find other tech and computer products like this over at Amazon Canada's website.
- Page 1 [Introduction]
- Page 2 [The Box and What's Inside]
- Page 3 [The Motherboard]
- Page 4 [BIOS and Overclocking]
- Page 5 [Test System Setup and Memory Performance]
- Page 6 [Benchmarks - Sisoft Sandra]
- Page 7 [Benchmarks - PCMark Vantage]
- Page 8 [Benchmarks - SYSmark 2007 Preview]
- Page 9 [Benchmarks - Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0]
- Page 10 [Benchmarks - 3DMark Vantage]
- Page 11 [Benchmarks - Crysis]
- Page 12 [Power Usage and Heat Tests]
- Page 13 [Final Thoughts]
- We at TweakTown openly invite the companies who provide us with review samples / who are mentioned or discussed to express their opinion of our content. If any company representative wishes to respond, we will publish the response here.
Latest News Posts
- The Note8 to have a fingerprint sensor under the display
- OnePlus teases the OnePlus 5 color options
- ISS crew on an urgent spacewalk after equipment failure
- Far Cry 5 may have exclusive content on PS4
- Meizu launches new mid-range smartphone - the M5c
- Alienware 15 R3 Laptop Storage Performance Investigation
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- ASUS RT-AC1900p Wireless Router Review
- GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK with SSD M.2 Plextor M8PeG 256gb. low speed after shut down
- Prey Review: Dark Stars, Darker Thoughts
- Western Digital sets new standard with latest generation in popular HGST-brand Ultrastar SAS SSD family
- AMD raises expectations for server performance, unveils EPYC processor brand for the datacenter
- HighPoint's SSD7101 PCIe board-sized drive series integrate Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs to deliver groundbreaking performance over 12GB/s
- Micron accelerates all-flash storage speed, performance and value with new flexible petabyte-scale enterprise data center solution
- Qualcomm Snapdragon 660 and 630 mobile platforms drive advanced photography, enhanced gaming, integrated connectivity and machine learning